Dumb question on posts?

/ Dumb question on posts? #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I must live in some strange world, I like this board and like to build things, and really am fairly good at it,

here is the question,

it seems some one asks a question on bolting a old army ammo box on there fender for a tool box and it will get 3 pages of replies,

and some asks a question on building a shop door, and there are nearly no replies, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/332257-new-shop-door.html

what am I doing wrong? is it not explanatory enough? it is too technical? is it not clear? no one has an opinion?

/ Dumb question on posts? #2  
I cannot advise on the door. Not sure why only one person has responded.
As to post on the tool box just look at the number of replies to "pallets in the field".

/ Dumb question on posts? #3  
Give it some time. The door question was just asked this morning. I think most folks work and don't have time to answer during the day.

Patience is a virtue.

MoKelly

/ Dumb question on posts? #4  
I saw it, but wasn't clear on exactly what you you were trying to design (no I didn't watch the YouTubes). In my mind, I guessed you could find a real door new for $1200, and figured I didn't have a cheaper design in mind so I didn't reply.

Quick online search - Menards has a 13 x 12 high torsion door on sale for $999. No, I didn't (quickly) see a price for a 13x13, but didn't try real hard either.

My guess - you could find a used door for $3-500. Call around to some demo guys, check craigslist, etc.

Good luck.

/ Dumb question on posts? #5  
I just read the post you linked to and I'll offer my thoughts. Bear in mind all of us ask questions that get no respect but that's life. In a question like a bifold door, almost none of us have them so the market for a response is limited. There are also three links and most guys are reluctant to see them all for a thread that doesn't involve something they don't have...meaning bifold door.

In this kind of situation, I have found it helps to be very direct in the question and state it simply with few words and ask for a response. If this were about a plow, for example I might start with--

I am trying to decide if I should buy a three point hitch model or a semi-mounted version. Which do you like? Here's a couple of examples so you can see the difference.

Then, in a new paragraph, explain the details simply and offer a picture or two. Links tend to lose people in the early stage of a thread.

In the final paragraph state the situation again--very simply and finish with a question. Such as I like this for this reason and the other for another reason. If it were you, which would you buy and why?

That's the extent of my knowledge on threads. Sometimes the good ones drift in space and that silly pallet thread gets 100,000 (?) hits. I'm just along for the ride and this is just my opinion.

/ Dumb question on posts? #6  
I noticed your original post and am watching for replies also. I've built all kinds of things but never even considered a do it yourself bifold door.

/ Dumb question on posts?
Thank you for your responses,

It is not just about my door post, but it is funny on why (what to me would seem like a simple question like pallets or tool box, and yet they many times get a complete book written, and others very few,

/ Dumb question on posts? #9  
A book written on the pallet thread?... Ha!, more like the encyclopedia Britannica. :laughing:

I can't comment on the Door thread, because I have no experience or skill in that area.

/ Dumb question on posts? #10  
Which end of a 4x4 post is the bottom end? What will happen to my fence if I get mixed up and put them in upside down? Will I have to put the wire underground?

:)

Bruce