Things that happen during the day that make you think....

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
It has been one of those days, one of THOSE weeks already, and I was thinking....

On the way home, saw a neighbors fence line taken out by a big boom truck, road blocked off too..... took out a utility pole too.....

Hope everyone was OK, but darn.... what was the person doing? It looked like a hundred feet of field fence were taken out. That will be a lot of work.

Cedar posts, the old fashion type. Sad.

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #2  
We just had a 87 yr old try to pass a fuel tanker truck on I94. He clipped the truck, causing a multi car pileup, lucky that no one died. $730K damage to the road, mostly due to fire. Why is the old boy still driving?

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #3  
I think there should be a cut off age when you must give up your licence. I'm thinking 80. That number might change when I get closer. L.O.L. Probably just made some enemies. Let me hear it. I'm 11 years away from that number.

Last edited:
   / Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #4  
I think there should be a cut off age when you must give up your licence. I'm thinking 80. that number might change when I get closer. L.O.L. Probably just made some enemies. Let me hear it. I'm 11 years away from that number.

They should require vision and reaction tests and possibly put a limit on night driving. It should be capability based not age based alone.

I've a 90 yr old MIL who is still fairly spry and drives well. But she is in Fulton, MS and doesn't drive 4 lane, far or fast. Most of her driving is to many local relatives (< 3 miles) and speed limits below 45mph. To even think of restricting people like her is terrible. Her freedom is at stake and she is no danger, to herself or others, in the situations she drives in. Now her 95 year old brother is getting so he shouldn't drive at night.

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #5  
They should require vision and reaction tests and possibly put a limit on night driving. It should be capability based not age based alone.

I would vote for that. People age at different rates.. We had to take the keys away from the mother in law at about age 74. But some people are doing great at age 74 and beyond.. Maybe start testing at about age 75 each time the license is renewed. We test young people to see if they are ready. Perhaps we should test our seniors at some point too. Easy for me to say, I have a ways to go.

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #7  
Testing on a regular basis would be the way to go. :thumbsup:

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #8  
In Ohio, a vision test is required every few years to renew your license. Based on the results, the driver could be restricted to daytime driving or have the license revoked.

I wouldn't support a straight cutoff age. I was much more dangerous as a teenager than my father was in his nineties.:eek:

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #9  
If you think age is a problem why do insurance companies charge more for young drivers not older people
sometimes brains are more important than reaction time
Sure some accidents are caused by old drivers
I am approaching 80
still have pilots licence
and use it regularly

/ Things that happen during the day that make you think.... #10  
Charge an additional fee for each year over a set age... more $$$ for state government to waste.

mark