Speedway motorcycle?

/ Speedway motorcycle? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
With the previous post about "Your first bike", I wondered if anyone here watched Speedway motorcycle races?

In Auburn, about 45 minutes from me, they have a great 1/8 mile flat track. They have been racing up here for years. It used to be a 1/4 mile stock car track years back.

The racing is FAST and exciting! These guys really go, and have no brakes... The Class-1 mains can be simply amazing the way they throw the bikes sideways, passing, and wheelie down the straight!

There have been a few tracks around California, but only a few seem to stay permanent. Occasionally they will have team races of N.Ca against S. Ca. And, every once in a while they will get European teams over for a bit of team racing. Seems it is pretty popular in England and some other European countires.

Here is the local track info www.fastfridays.com

/ Speedway motorcycle? #2  
There use to be a flat track up north of here called something like 3rd world raceway. It was amazingly scarey to watch. Very exciting! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Speedway motorcycle?
Ya, those guys run REAL fast, tight together, and sideways at the same time.

It's amazing to see them come off the corner still a litle sideway, with the front tire coming up in the air a bit, as they pass someone!

/ Speedway motorcycle? #4  
That's called being one with your machine!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I use to be that way with my cars. Could make them do anything. Now, society frowns on that on the public roads, and I have come to accept the errors of my ways... but it sure is fun to put a car in a slide or drift and punch it around a nice curve. Haven't done it it years and don't really want to anymore...

However, there is this little go kart track over near Angola, Indiana, on I69, one or two exits south of 80/90(the toll road). The outdoor track is typical little go carts, fun for the kids. But a little known secret is inside the large building behind the ticket stand. Inside, there is a high bank oval and they have these little sprint cars in there. Full cages around the tires so you can't lock wheels. They hit mid 20s in speed. They grease the track throughout the evening. It is a complete blast. You really can drive the heck out of them and have a great time and not put anyone else in danger. They usually let 6 or 8 cars on the track at the same time. If you have a group of decent drivers, they'll let 10 but they don't want their cars banged up too bad. They have a master kill switch, so if anybody spins out and gets stuck on the inside wall, they kill all the cars to idle, run out and push you off the wall, and start the race back up again. So the fewer wipeouts, the more racing time. I think you can get them down to 5 bucks for 5 minutes if you by multiple rides. I always come away from there with rubber and dirt on my face, sore arms and legs and a great big smile. If anyone is near that area, I highly recommend it. You can also rent it out for groups.