What are the computer programmers thinking?

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Sorry to be on the very edge of tractor related stuff but the TBN brain trust always seems to come thru:

Found a parcel of land that is not for sale but seems abandoned so I would like to contact the owner about buying it. Tracked down his mailing address from County government records, typed up a letter to the owner in iPad Notes and printed it out to snail mail to him, since I only have his street address. Problem is, when I print the letter, iPad tries to 'help me' by changing the color of the text of part of the letter so that those parts create a link for the convenience of the recipient. For example, they create a link of my phone number, his address, my email address, etc. Problem is, the light yellow color they assign to the linked text is barely visible in the snail mail letter so the owner may miss the whole point of the letter. iPad settings do not offer any options as far as I can see. The quickest solution is just to hand write a letter to him but that looks a little backward, like someone looking for two acres for his mule for some lowball price. I think I only have one shot at this. Any suggestions?

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #2  
Well, let me be the first to say Apple Sucks! hahahahaaa

OK, I'm kidding. But if I didn't say it, some other knucklehead would. Now that that's out of the way, I assume you're printing via airprint? If so, I doubt you can change it to black only.

You could try copying the text out of Notes and pasting it into an email, emailing it to your self, then printing it. Who knows?

Also, you can see if there's a printing app for your specific printer that may allow you more control. Good luck. :rolleyes:

/ What are the computer programmers thinking?
I tried that email work around and it made the same assumptions that certain parts of the text needed to be converted to a different color and a link. You may be right about the sucks part. I spend more time undoing their autocorrect than what it saves me in legitimate error correction. Thanks.

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #4  
Well, let me be the first to say Apple Sucks! hahahahaaa

OK, I'm kidding. But if I didn't say it, some other knucklehead would. Now that that's out of the way, I assume you're printing via airprint? If so, I doubt you can change it to black only.

You could try copying the text out of Notes and pasting it into an email, emailing it to your self, then printing it. Who knows?

Also, you can see if there's a printing app for your specific printer that may allow you more control. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Agreed...I'm the 2nd knucklehead. :p

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #5  
Well SW Indiana would be a good place for a mule. While hand writing is becoming a lost art AND Indiana schools do not even require it being taught anymore, it is a much more personal method of communicating. Your Illinois neighbor.

Walt Conner

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #6  
I tried that email work around and it made the same assumptions that certain parts of the text needed to be converted to a different color and a link. You may be right about the sucks part. I spend more time undoing their autocorrect than what it saves me in legitimate error correction. Thanks.

Gmail it to yourself and remove the hyperlinks. Then print it.

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #7  
Sorry to be on the very edge of tractor related stuff but the TBN brain trust always seems to come thru:

Found a parcel of land that is not for sale but seems abandoned so I would like to contact the owner about buying it. Tracked down his mailing address from County government records, typed up a letter to the owner in iPad Notes and printed it out to snail mail to him, since I only have his street address. Problem is, when I print the letter, iPad tries to 'help me' by changing the color of the text of part of the letter so that those parts create a link for the convenience of the recipient. For example, they create a link of my phone number, his address, my email address, etc. Problem is, the light yellow color they assign to the linked text is barely visible in the snail mail letter so the owner may miss the whole point of the letter. iPad settings do not offer any options as far as I can see. The quickest solution is just to hand write a letter to him but that looks a little backward, like someone looking for two acres for his mule for some lowball price. I think I only have one shot at this. Any suggestions?

Why would you type a letter in the notes app? That is setup for an entirely different purpose -- recording notes, dates, phone numbers, etc, and formats links for those purposes. It's not meant to be a word processor or for typing letters/etc. It's actually got extra coding in it to recognize things like addresses and make them into map links, turn phone numbers into dial-able links, etc.

I'd suggest downloading a word processor app for the iPad -- many are free. Can get Microsoft Word for iPad for free. Apple includes their "Pages" app for free on newer devices, so you may already have that installed. Any of those would be way better for what you're doing.

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #8  
Couldn't you download OpenOffice and print from there? It's free...I admit I'm not an ipad fan, but I would guess that with OpenOffice you've somewhat disconnected from Apple's "helpfulness" and have some semblance of control over your documents.

Just a suggestion.

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #9  
Well SW Indiana would be a good place for a mule. While hand writing is becoming a lost art AND Indiana schools do not even require it being taught anymore, it is a much more personal method of communicating. Your Illinois neighbor.

Walt Conner

You know Illinois doesn't require it either since they adopted "common core".

/ What are the computer programmers thinking? #10  
Yep, that's the general consensus... download something else if you want to do word processing. Notes is for notes, not letters or documents.