Sherwin Williams at Lowes?

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
I just received an advertising insert from Lowes that features "HGTV Home -- Sherwin Williams" paint.

Am I correct in thinking that the Lowes product is a step down in quality form the paint carried at Sherwin Williams stores?

Steve

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #2  
I just received an advertising insert from Lowes that features "HGTV Home -- Sherwin Williams" paint.

Am I correct in thinking that the Lowes product is a step down in quality form the paint carried at Sherwin Williams stores?

Steve

Although I can't answer your question directly, I suspect that Lowe's paints are made by Valspar...which to me means that they are as good or as mediocre as Lowe's wants them to be. One thing for sure, though, the paint techs at Sherman Williams are light years better.

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #3  
Supposedly, the exact same brand is also carried at the Sherwin Williams stores. There are some unique colors available at Lowes but, at least based on Sherwin Williams investor reports, its the same brand and can be purchased at both stores.

MoKelly

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #4  
One thing for sure, though, the paint techs at Sherman Williams are light years better.

Agree that Sherwin Williams paints are the best for exterior and IMO Behr is the best for interior. Used Valspar a couple times but wasn't impressed.

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #5  
I must respectfully disagree about behr paint, I tried using it in my basement and it was junk, Shermin Williams is a little more money but covers 10x better, I will never use a big box store paint again.

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #7  
That's Valspar Primer and Paint stuff they sell at Lowe's is total garbage. It won't go on smooth even with a high quality brush and the crap never completely dries. My wife bought paint from a paint store, can't remember the brand, and painted the bathroom with it and it's fine, dried just fine. She used Kilz water based primer under both. The Valspar white in our Den still feels slightly tacky after almost 3 years.

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #8  
I have a part time home repair business and I regularly use them all.

If a customer wants SW, Bher, Valspar, or anything else, I do not talk them out of it. That way they can't come back at me, if they are not happy.

Here is my list:

Valspar- Is junk. Semi gloss is very slow drying, and shrinks up a lot. I would only chose to use this stuff, if it was a two story foyer, and it was hot weather. Then, the slow drying would actually be helpful, in keeping a wet edge. In cold weather, it takes forever to harden.

Bher- Decent. I usually don't buy it myself, but I don't mind using it. Some colors do not cover well.

Sherwin Williams- I use a lot of "Duration" interior, and "Resilience" exterior. Hard to beat for the money.

Benjamin Moore- You have never painted, if you haven't used "Aura", it's $70 a gallon, (for the interior, retail price). (I have never used the exterior). You can cover any color, in one coat. No priming, just one coat. I recently painted beige, over a dark Merlot wine color, in ONE coat. (See photo below). Making it cheaper than two gallons of Bher's best paint, and Aura is by far a better coating. You have to know how to put paint on heavy to do that in one coat, but it is possible with this product. Aura hardens much faster than the others, so it can be cleaned without damage, weeks sooner. Though I don't always buy it for my own stuff, I would use nothing else if I had my way. Any customer I have ever used this paint for, has loved it.

Sherwin Williams came out with "Emerald" to compete with "Aura". It's not even close to being as good.

Don't use Kilz water based primer for stains. Only the oil based product gives reliable results. You can buy spray cans, for this, if you have small spots to prime.

0314141022.jpg

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #9  
John Deere at Home Depot? Need I say more?

/ Sherwin Williams at Lowes? #10  
Agree that Sherwin Williams paints are the best for exterior and IMO Behr is the best for interior. Used Valspar a couple times but wasn't impressed.

Sherwin Williams is superior. I once tried some Behr deck stain, followed the directions to the letter. Now, one year later and $100 out of pocket the product is coming off in sheets.
Tough lesson learned.