Round bale handling with pickup

/ Round bale handling with pickup #1  

RBManufacturing

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 8N / Kubota B 6200. Kubota B 7100. Modified wards lawn tractor. Souped up.
Having only recently become involved in the handling of round
bales, I would like to know if anyone makes a system for
moving round bales with a 1/2 ton dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Would
like something fairly inexpensive. I was thinking about
something like a fork, with hydraulic jack, and self supporting
with an axle, and 2 wheels????? Only need to move them
in pasture, about 300 ft. from storage area, to feed lot. We
use 2 bales a week. Saw a system at Ky. farm show that
attaches to rear of truck, but requires drilling, tailgate removal, etc.
Dealer says it would be alot of weight for the
1/2 ton anyway. Anyone have anything used??? Thanks for
any help or info. or ideas. Rick

/ Round bale handling with pickup #2  
The local ag magazine Rural Delivery had a bale spike on a pivot that slid into the reciever hitch I think and a 3500 lb winch with pulley block mounted near the front of the truck bed. Back into bale lift and drive.

They said they use the winch all the time to drag stuff up into the bed, up ramps.
Ken

/ Round bale handling with pickup #3  
A friend of mine has a thing called a Tumblebug that hooks to a 2" ball and you just back it into the bale and drive off. Don't know who makes them.... Chet

/ Round bale handling with pickup #4  
my neighbor made and patented a set of forks that work on the front of a pickup. they mount like a snowplow and go up and down with hyd. The forks fold up out of the way for driving on the roads. Works good for moving bales and skids. Don't know how much but 1500 seems like a figure I heard. Email me if you need more info and I will get ahold of him.
leaddog

/ Round bale handling with pickup #5  
I didn't know what they were called until I saw the post above. But the <font color="blue"> tumblebug </font> would probably be just what you need and no modifications needed to your truck. I see trucks pulling these down the farm-to-market road fairly often.

/ Round bale handling with pickup #6  
Like the other guys said, lots of the "tumblebug" type of round bale handlers in my area (actually there are several different brands and names, but the function's about the same). If you already have a brake controller on the pickup, you're already set. If not, you do need some kind of switch (even a little toggle switch works) and run a power wire to the brakes on it. You have to apply the electric brakes on the ones I'm familiar with to dump it as you back up the towing vehicle. A neighbor with one had the brake controller on his pickup, but just used a little toggle switch to pull it with his Kawasaki Mule.

/ Round bale handling with pickup #7  
Here is a pickup bale spear that's hydraulic. I've seen several similar ones around here and one style even uses a boat winch to lift the spear and bale. This one is advertised for $1300. I've also seen similar types on a two-wheel buggy like the Tumblebug.

410420.gif