Who can afford a new truck anymore?

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I cannot believe how expensive trucks have become. Looks I will never own another new one. Other than those making money from their trucks, and others that have a pile of money, I don't see how people can afford a new truck.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #2  
Fortunately I really like my 02 GMC dually. It cost a fortune back then and isn't worth much now, but it still looks nice and pulls the camper just fine. I don't need a $75,000 bill in my life anymore.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #3  
The problem with truck pricing (and tractor or any other big ticket item) is that credit is so loose tons of people are buying stuff like there's no tomorrow. Drives prices through the roof. When times are tough, credit is tight. Dealers get antsy and will "actually" give you a true cash discount.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #4  
NOT CHEAP. I've got an older F150 4x4, 2001, with 190K miles. It runs great and I use it for all my grunt work. I just retired, however, and my wife wanted me to have something nice - so we picked up a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with all the goodies - just under $60K. The new truck pretty much sits in the garage - lol. It's nice but there is no way I can justify the purchase.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #5  
I saw a bunch of Ford million mile trucks on you tube. I am sure other brands have million mile trucks as well. While those Fords were often highway haulers, they were both gas and diesel and are quite impressive. I have a 99 F250 and I see no reason to replace it. I figure I have 800 some thousand miles to go.

Last edited:
   / Who can afford a new truck anymore? #6  
New truck prices are incredibly sickening. I'd love to replace my 2004 ranger and 1986 F-350 with one new heavy duty truck someday but good grief.... When a bare bones Chevy 1500 W/T 2wd v6 regular cab is almost $29k (sticker).... I'm not sure a new crew cab 4wd 3/4ton will ever be in my budget!

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #7  
My '89 F250 works great, is tough, and gets the job done, and only cost me $2600. That's a lot of money left in my pocket for gas and repairs.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #8  
I have a 09 F250 and I see no reason to replace it. I figure I have 800 some thousand miles to go.

I wouldn't be surprised to see my old F150 outlast the new Silverado :)

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #9  
Ya know, i pay cash for everything i buy. The last NEW truck i purchased was my work rig in 2003. Never again. Too expensive. In 2009 i bought a late model 2004/2005 era f350 used with less than 25,000 miles on it. Its a king cab, diesel. I got it for 16,000 cash from dealer. I still have the old window sticker when it sold new for $45,000 4 years before i bought it.

I thought the only one capable of losing that much money in such a short time was the government.

Theres no way i can ever justify buying another new rig. My f350 is cherry condition. Ive added over 30,000 miles to the odometer, and it still seems like a new rig. No issues.

Sure, a new truck would be cool to have, but for 60-70,000 i could pick up another rental house (well a very large part of one at least) and make $$$ every month instead of watching it decrease in value.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #10  
If you really want to get your feelings hurt, go shop used truck prices. You know the old saying about "when you drive it off the lot it loses $10,000 in depreciation"? Well, the dealers somehow magically build the depreciation back into the price when they put it on the lot. My 2014 Z71 stickered for $43,000. I got $8,000(rough estimate, it was actually around $8750) in rebates, bringing the price down to around $35,000. Now, on that SAME lot was a 2013 Z71 with 32,000 miles and they were asking $ $34,900. This truck had LESS options than mine AND had 32,000 miles to boot. Un-freaking-believable! You would have had to been a dern fool to even consider NOT buying a new truck. It was as if the dealer WANTED to sell me a new truck over a used one even though the myth is they only make a couple hundred on new sales as opposed to thousands on used. Now, explain that if you can. The other kicker is go try and trade in your used, low mile, very clean truck. You'll either cry or be mad as a hornet when they lowball you. It's like your truck is junk to them, but they'll hose it down and vaccum it out and oh it'll be a prized jewel then when they stick it back on the lot according to them. I know our currency has lost its value but I have a hard time believing it's lost THAT much value. The truck market is not like I've ever seen in my life these days.