Need a walk behind string trimmer

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
The weed eating I do is with a Stihl FS85, but my wife loves using the wheel trimmer.

I purchased a cheap Troybilt (MTD) high wheel trimmer in 2001 and it has been great. B & S 6.75 engine. Offset to the left to get up against stuff. It still runs fine but the bearings are seizing on the spindle. Looks like the entire assembly has to be replaced but the part is anywhere from $175-$200! Love this old trimmer - it is very light and my wife uses it easily, easy to start, and a key feature is that it has a clutch. You start it with the spindle disengaged, the engine idles and the spindle doesn't turn. You then engage the spindle by squeezing a bar against the handle - somehow the governor realizes the load and kicks up the throttle, and it is a mean machine.

Today we went to Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply. Settled on a Swisher unit with a similar B & S engine and offset cutter head. It was not assembled but there was an open box to see what it looked like. Well, really all there was to assembly was adjusting the handles.

Got it home, adjusted the handles, put oil and gas in it. First thing my wife noticed was the way the line goes on the cutter head. There is no clip or anything so you can't really pull it tight. Then she noticed while the unit is the same size basically as her old one it is much heavier and not balanced well. The wheels vibrate when you spin them - seem to be bushings rather than bearings. The killer is that this bar on the handle which, on the old unit engages the cutter, on this unit it must be squeezed for the unit to run. This means you have hold it while starting the engine, and the cutter is engaged! Very hard to pull for my wife. Once started, the unit is twice as loud and shakes though it will fly apart. If you let go the bar on the handle, it dies (whereas the old unit idles and the cutter stops).

Needless to say we are returning it. Problem is I can't find a wheel trimmer that has the offset head and also has a spindle that you can disengage while the engine runs. When using the trimmer it is common to disengage and push it a few feet to another location and engage it and continue work. To have to restart it, especially has hard as the rope is to pull with the spindle engaged, is a huge problem.

Does anybody know of a unit that works like our old one - one that you can disengage the spindle?The Troybilt model is 25AE258E063 in case that is relevant.

Found that the Cub Cade ST100 looks pretty much identical to our old one, but in the reviews people talk about it dying when you let go of the bar. I hope this is not now a required safety feature because it will get very old having to restart the engine every time you need to let go of the handle.

The trimmer is used for trimming around the house, trees, etc - not for mowing large areas of tall grass. Thus the need for the offset.

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #2  
I had an old junker with almost downfall you describe. I found it easier to use a handheld vs push one of these clunkers. Roundup is the easiest.

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer
I had an old junkerith almost downfall you describe. I found it easier to use a handheld vs push one of these clunkers. Roundup is the easiest.

I use the handheld, but my wife can't use it. I also use roundup but some areas you can't use it.

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #4  
Could your wife use something like this? $200 to fix the old trimmer is still cheaper than a new one.
image-4172999659.jpg

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #6  
I don't know if they are still made the same, but my almost 20 year old DR works as you describe (offset, handle release etc). A well made machine and still going strong after all these years. My wife is also the primary user. Their customer service is very good--call and ask them your questions. Regards, MIke

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #7  
It was nearly 20 years ago that I bought an electric start DR trimmer/mower that my wife could use. And, yep, offset to trim under fences and against obstacles and the same handle release. There are lots of other brands out there now, but I haven't seen any quite as good as the DR.

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #8  
I'm with 4570man on this one. You say the parts are ~$200 vs the cost of a new mower that is unsatisfactory. I say go for the new parts and have a happy wife for another 15 years.

SimS

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #9  
My vote is for the DR trimmer. I've owned mine now for 15 years and the kawasaki engine is still going strong. I've replaced a couple of belts and one engagement control cable but that's about it. Its amazing what the units can cut.

/ Need a walk behind string trimmer #10  
I had one of those heavy Swisher walk-behind string mowers for general purpose mowing around my 10 acre place. OK for lawn work. No good for mowing ditches (my place had 1/4 mile of ditches) or work in my almond orchard. However, that heavy, awkward Swisher did give a good upper body workout:dance1:

Parked the Swisher and bought a professional grade Tanaka string mower (straight, solid drive shaft). Much easier to use.

Why would your wife want to push around a heavy walk-behind string mower rather than use a much more versatile, lightweight string mower with a shoulder strap? It takes about 10 minutes to get used to this type of mower.

Good luck.