Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
This happened just outside the town of Sylvia Kansas. The town I grew up and moved back too.

Two males staged a wreck and someone called it in thinking it was really a wreck and that they might be dead.

When responders arrived they told them it was a prank and left.

The Reno County Sheriff's Office says the call was made about 10:30 p.m. Saturday near the town of Sylvia.

The caller said two people were laying on the side of the road in what looked like a fatal accident. The call went into detail to describe the scene.

Several Reno County agencies responded to the call, including the volunteer fire department, EMS, several sheriff's deputies and the Lifeteam helicopter.

Reno County dispatchers say getting prank calls is not uncommon, but patrol sergeant Cory Graber says it's not common to get one like they did Saturday night.

"One of this magnitude, I haven't seen or been a part of," he said. "Prank calls like this just don't happen very often."

When crews arrived on the scene, they found two people that the caller thought were hurt or dead. The Reno County Sheriff's Office says two men in their early 20's had staged a fake fatality accident and told the first responders it was a prank before leaving.

Emergency crews were able to catch a license plate number.

On Sunday, the Reno County sheriff says the report is being sent to the county's district attorney's office, requesting charges to be filed.

Source: 911 prank could lead to charges in Reno County | Local News - Home

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #2  
Sounds like these two idiots need to get a job. Who has time for this kinda junk?

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #3  
Aw, let them work it off.
The cost of EVERYTHING involved, including the chopper, plus about 50% more as a slap on the wrist.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #4  
People take themselves too seriously - trouble with this country.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #5  
People take themselves too seriously - trouble with this country.

I am not sure what you mean by the above statement. If you think it was a fun joke you are wrong. It tied up equipment and personnel that may have been needed at an actual scene. We do not have an infinite amount of personnel and equipment in the EMS system. Even with mutual aid it can get difficult to provide adequate services.

Just speaking from experience.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #6  
No different than pulling a fire alarm just for the "fun" of it.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males.
Update: Two men accused of staging a fake fatality accident in Reno County have been arrested.

No different than pulling a fire alarm just for the "fun" of it.

I'll admit. I did that when I was in first grade. The principal saw me do it. I know now that it was a stupid thing to do. And these people that staged the wreck should've had enough sense to know that there prank could lead to someone calling the wreck in and that emergency crews were gonna respond.

When I was 5 I called 911 on my 17 year old brother for not sharing a swing with me and cop showed up and gave me the lecture on what 911 is for.

I never called 911 unless for an emergency since then.

Can't believe that happened 22 years ago.

After that I was given the nickname 911.

I could understand and have more sympathy for these people if they were children or young teens. Cause I admit I've done stupid things as a teen and kid before.

But these people are supposed to be adults.

There's other ways to pull pranks that wouldn't involve 911 being called.

I don't mind a good prank even being pulled on me. But the prank shouldn't involve 911 services being called.

They could be needing to respond to A real emergency. Just think if you were in need of an ambulance, the fire department or even police and someone did this same thing and the emergency crews were out responding to this call.

It could take longer for them to get to your REAL emergency.

I know if I responded to the fake accident I wouldn't be laughing and I'm not laughing at the fake accident either.

I saw online people putting dummies under mowers with fake blood or under a vehicle on Halloween. And even though it's Halloween. They should put a sign there stating it's a decoration.

So that no one will call 911 thinking it may be an accident and need emergency services.

Because accidents do happen anytime even on Halloween.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #8  
Aw, let them work it off.
The cost of EVERYTHING involved, including the chopper, plus about 50% more as a slap on the wrist.

They better have a real good paying job since the chopper bill will be expensive...

Morons. People die answering these calls....

Later,
Dan

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #9  
They better have a real good paying job since the chopper bill will be expensive...

Morons. People die answering these calls....

Later,
Dan

I agree. The need to pay and pay for it all. As well as some community service. A 20 something is an adult. Able to vote, make contracts, carry a firearm etc. Plenty old enough to know better. That "prank" was not the least bit funny.

/ Prank Fatal wreck Near Sylvia Kansas could lead to charges against two males. #10  
Years ago someone, almost certainly more than one person, cut down a tree so that it fell across a road. A guy riding a motorcycle hit the tree and died. Cutting down of the tree to cross the road was on purpose and someone must have thought it would be funny to do. There was a story in the paper about this incident, which was from a decade or so ago, and the person(s) who killed that man have not be caught. I don't think the police have a clue as to who did it and the article was to see if someone would say something.

Later,
Dan