.22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability?

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I know that there was a long-running thread that finally got struck down because of bickering of some type or another, but I did find the information in it interesting, and wondered if anyone had any updates regarding availability.

I check gunbot pretty regularly and it looks like there is plenty available in the 9 to 10 cents per round range, plus shipping. A lot of websites still have a limit on what can be purchased, but some don't.

I've been to all of my regular places in the last two weeks, and here's what I found:

3 different local Wal-Marts, including the one across the street from my work several times: none found
3 local gun stores: 2 were out, but had some recently; 1 had some Eley at $10/50 round box
1 local hardware store: none, hadn't had any in a month
1 local sporting goods store: Had tons! Several boxes of Federal 325 round bulk packs - $40! 50 round Thunderbolts - $5 100 round CCIs - $12 Overall, the CCI's didn't seem like a bad price, and the pricing on the Thunderbolts is the new normal, especially compared to online. The store said they had more in stock than they had on the shelf - the only limit was your wallet.

Went to Dick's Sporting Goods twice - the first time, they had 50 round boxes of Federal and CCI. The Federal was $3 and the CCI was $4, limit of 3 per customer, so I got 3 Federal and my wife got 3 CCI. They also had 1,000 round Winchester packs for $70, limit of 1. The second time we went, they had none.

Went to Gander Mountain twice - the first time, none (although they did have .22 magnum for $20. I passed on that because I only have one revolver that shoots .22 magnum, and I rarely shoot it anyway. The second time, they had 100 round Remington Golden bullets for $8 - and lots of them - limit of 1. I bought one and they wife bought 1. They also had $10/50 round Eleys, limit of 2.

I guess that for the most part, it's still hard to find at what many of us consider the "old" pricing. I'm afraid that we've moved to about 10 cents/round, probably for good, unless it can be found at Wal-Mart or similar.

Good luck and take care.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #2  
I checked - just now - Remmington 22 ammo at the local Cabalas outlet. Box of 525 is $35. Limit is one box/day. Two other sporting goods outlets are about the same.

Last edited:
   / .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #3  
I picked up 1000 rds of CCI MiniMag 22lr from Kentucky Gun Co in March - .10 per round.

I suspect the days of quality 22lr below .10 are over.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #4  
One of our local gun shops has tons of off-shore .22 ammo @$68/500.Lots of hoarders out there yet.Remington supplies are starting to loosen up.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #5  
If you shop around, you should be able to buy in bulk for about 10 cents per round. The good old days seem to be over. Of course, if you're unfortunate enough to live in a state than bans online ammo sales, you are pretty much stuck.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #6  
Hmmmm....... wonder why there is such a price difference between back east and out here in the west. The ammo I referred to previously is Remington Yellow Jacket - Hyper Velocity - hollow point.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability?
I looked on the Cabela's website today, and the Remington Golden Bullet ammo was available for 525 rounds for $35, plus $5 shipping, limit 1 per person per order per day, so about $40/525 rounds.

I looked a few minutes ago and it was no longer available. The 100 round boxes were still available, but with shipping that bumps up to $15 per 100.

Good luck and take care.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #8  
I agree with the others on pricing....Will never see the good old bulk box of 500 for 14.00 or so again. I look about every other day at a few website that have not been price gouging for a little here and a little there. Just buy it when I see it and use it when I need it. Personally, I reload a lot of .223, .357, 9mm, 45acp...and have seen powders and primers doubling in prices also. Used to get a 1000pc box of primers 3 years ago for 15.00 now its 35 and up. Same with powders. The powders I use have also gone up 10 to 20 dollars from a year or so ago when you can find them in stock. Hazmat shipping was 25.00 now its 28.75. So its not just the .22 that's gone up and hard to find, its all of it. Just have to shop around some.
I will say this, I DONT buy from shops that have a stupid high prices like 55.00 or up for a 500rd box. They are rippoffs and I refuse to support them or buy anything from them at all.
We have a gun shop right down the road that is charging 75.00 a box of 500 for Remington thunderbolt .22. Not Eley prime, but thunderbolts.....and If you are one of his "GOOD OLD BOYS" he will give you a discount. Sorry to say I am not kissing any a@@ to get ammo. He wont last long as people are already tired of him and his attitude.

Just my .10 worth. Price subject to change without notice....:shocked:

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability?
So far, I haven't needed to buy any from gougers, and hope that I don't have to. I feel *a little* guilty about even buying what I've bought in the past week, because I've got a few thousand rounds and probably won't be doing any shooting until the fall. However, since I can't tell that there is a consistent, reliable source to get .22 ammo at reasonable prices, when I can find it for $3 or $4 per 50 rounds, which is close to my limit, I'm going to pick some up.

It seems as though availability is improving, because at least it is available for about 10 cents/round; I think the pre-panic prices (and this is about 2 or 3 years ago, now) was somewhere in the range of $15-$20 per 500 rounds, but my memory is tricky at best. Like most folks on here, and can remember the days when a brick of Thunderbolts was $6 or $7, and you felt good about blowing through the whole brick in an afternoon!

I really appreciate the input from you guys. It is interesting to see what is going on with the market.

Good luck and take care.

/ .22 LR Ammunition - any updates on availability? #10  
I asked a similar question a few months ago, and have since picked some up from Cabelas. The shipping makes it pricey, but I order from there frequently enough so that I can piggy back on another order.