A tombstone for Dash.

/ A tombstone for Dash. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I had to let go of my best buddy of 14 years the other day and I'm still grieving like a pagan. He was an ugly Labrador Retriever named Dash, after John James Audubon's retriever. He may not have been the best dog in all of history (he was) but he was definitely the best dog for me. Its only been a few days and I miss him dearly.

But, it was his time to go and my wife and I knew it. And I will give you dog lovers out there a piece of advice. Find yourself a mobile veterinarian if you can find one. We took Dash to a regular and excellent vet for most of his life but when it was time to put him to sleep we called a mobile vet who came to the house. She was a sweet and kind lady. She talked to us about Dash and his condition and then explained how things would work and while we sat there on the floor with him, which made him very happy, she administered a series of meds and Dash passed on without ever having to get up from his favorite spot and with my wife and I petting him.

Anyway, we buried him next to the cabin down on my property which was his favorite place to be. A while back I also found a large stone from an old house site on our place. I suspect it was a foundation stone but I think it will make a great tombstone for Dash. There is a picture of it below. It is heavy but I can set it in place with the tractor bucket. It is not hard like granite or marble but it is not soft like limestone or sandstone either. I want to put Dash's name on it but I'm not sure how. Would prefer to carve it in rather than paint or something like that. So all of this is actually to ask how I could go about doing this? I want it to look nice but it does not need to be perfect. I have a Dremel tool but not sure what type of tip would work. I have an angle grinder but I don't think it would be neat enough. I have wood chisels. I have various files. I might could heat up a three sided file and bend it into an L shape to cut into the rock. Any other ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC1486.jpg
    _DSC1486.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 684
   / A tombstone for Dash.
And this is Dash:
_DSC2156.jpg

/ A tombstone for Dash. #3  
I don't have any answers for your question about the tombstone, but I sure do understand about your loss. You have both my sympathy and my admiration for letting Dash go in the manner in which you did.

/ A tombstone for Dash. #5  
You have my heartfelt sympathy. Only someone who has lost their best friend in this manner can even come close to understanding what you are going through. Your story very unashamedly brought tears to my eyes. May God Bless

/ A tombstone for Dash.
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I had dogs growing up but never got this attached. Dash is the only dog I've owned as an adult. He grew up with my kids. Never thought a dog would mean so much to me. Anyway, I think I found the answer to my question: Dremel makes tungsten carbide carving bits that should do the trick. I'll clean up the face of the stone and have my wife trace out the letters and I should be able to carve them in with these bits. I'll post pictures if/when I get it done.

/ A tombstone for Dash. #7  
Sorry for your loss. It sure leaves a hole in your heart that no front end loader can fill. One reason I am dragging my feet on a new dog. Most of the stones in old graveyards were carved with a cold chisel and hammer . A rubber mask and a sandblaster will do it too. The Dremmel should work just take your time.

/ A tombstone for Dash. #8  
cut his name and info out of a piece of thin plywood and secure it tightly to the slab and sand blast it.

/ A tombstone for Dash. #9  
Sorry I know what a dog can mean to a man. Glue some innertube or rubber roofing to it and sandblast.

/ A tombstone for Dash.
It sure leaves a hole in your heart that no front end loader can fill. One reason I am dragging my feet on a new dog.

Yep. A lot of folks say just rushing out and getting another dog is the cure, and for some folks it surely is. I can't do that for several reasons. First, I feel like I need to get over this one first. The process is unpleasant but I think it is necessary. Second, in my mind it wouldn't be fair to the new puppy. It is going to be very hard for another dog to live up to Dash. I think time will mellow my expectations. Third, my wife and I are empty nesters all of a sudden. There are downsides to that. I miss my kids and my dog. But there is also a new freedom as well. I think we need to enjoy that for a while before committing to another dog. And this may sound stupid, but I always hated leaving Dash when we went on vacation or whatever. It wasn't so much that I missed him, even though I did, but it was the thought of how unhappy he was when he was not with us. He was always well cared for by the friends and family we left him with but they would always say he moped the whole time and always sat watching the door or driveway for us to come back. Fourth, as you mentioned, do I want to experience this again? Not really, but that's what you get with a good dog. Surely the joy of having a good dog outweighs the grief when you lose him. Of course it does. But its hard to feel that way right now. I'm sure there is another dog in my future but it will be a ways down the road.

You and JPRambo mentioned sandblasting. I think my brother in law has one. So it would cut around the stencil and the letters would be raised?