Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #1  

troutsqueezer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Ok, first, all you guys with the F150's, Silverados and Rams don't get all worked up. I know some of you think the only real truck is one that will haul around a 30' fifth-wheeler but this post is for those of us who have different needs. I've been in the market for a new truck lately and while doing the research, I couldn't help but notice there has been much speculation this year about how Chevy is positioned to take over the mid-sized truck market with its re-designed Colorado. I can't tell you how many articles have been written touting the Colorado as the future king of the market. It is so much more advanced, powerful and good-looking. Much more so than say, that "aging" Tacoma.

About the Tacoma, I just sold my 2000 Pre-Runner with 150,000 miles on it. No major work was ever done to it. I loved it. I wrote an ad for Craigslist, pushed the "Publish" button, sat back and began talking to the wife. In less than 10 minutes I had someone emailing me about it, wanting to meet me ASAP and they would have cash in hand, didn't care about any specifics. They would buy it on the spot. I could say I sold it in under 10 minutes. Sold for a thousand over high blue book. I didn't know that year Tacoma and similar years have become highly desirable among the younger set. Over the next few hours I had twelve emails inquiring about it. The point here is, the Tacoma is riding on a strong reputation so you'd better have something pretty great if you plan on taking over the market.

What prompted this post is an article I saw today on Google News which confirms the choice I made in the end to buy the 2015 Tacoma PreRunner V6 TRD Sport:

Toyota Tacoma Crowned As Chevy Takes Their Time With Diesel Colorado ? Autoomobile

Apparently, even though the Tacoma is scheduled for a do-over for 2016, people are still buying the 2015 model, enough to make it the number one selling mid-size, even as sales for the competition is falling.

One of the bragging points all writers had about the Colorado was that it had better fuel efficiency coupled with greater horsepower. Obviously some higher tech employed here and a superior design to the un-aided eye. Interestingly, the V6 Tacoma out-accelerates the Colorado in the quarter mile. Hmmm. Turns out, to get that extra-good gas mileage, Chevy took the horsepower rating at a higher RPM than the competition. The Colorado is rated at 305 HP @6,800 RPM. The Tacoma is rated at 236 HP @ 5,200 RPM. Guess which one pulling a load gets to the top of the hill first? (Yes, the Tacoma with more torque)

There are other bragging points the pundits had, like better looking, yada yada yada but I think this illustrates how much bias there is in the industry. Kinda reminds me of the predictions everyone made about how ***** was toast over the last few weeks but the population knows what it wants and now look where he is.

Please, no replies about full-size vs. mid-size pickups. That's not what this is about.

This is my new Tacoma. Colorado better looking? I don't think so.

Last edited:
   / Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #2  
Nice truck, what size bed is that?

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #3  
Apparently, even though the Tacoma is scheduled for a do-over for 2016, people are still buying the 2015
model, enough to make it the number one selling mid-size, even as sales for the competition is falling.

Can you even get the new 2016 Taco at the dealers yet?

I had no problem buying my '04 Taco new, knowing the model was going thru total do-over in a few
months. Cost me a lot less, too. There won't be any price breaks on the new '16s, I will bet.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #4  
Toyota sold 88K Taco's in June compared to about 56K Colorado/Canyons in the same month. I can't say much about how each tows. I suspect that most of these small trucks are expected to tow no more than 5-6K on a semi-regular basis and are used more as runabouts in an urban environment.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #5  
I have a 2013, extended cab, 4cyl, 2wd, 6.1 in bed (just long enough to put a twin mattress in, but a smidgen too short for the box spring to lie flat.)

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #6  
We were late to the Tacoma party, but I wish I had gotten there earlier. I had a friend at work that bought one last year, and my wife looked at it and said "Gee, I think I like that." A month later, we were looking for another vehicle - a Tacoma. Our problem was that no dealers had any! After some searching, a few showed up about an hours drive away.

We ended up with a 2007 that had about 60,000 miles on it and is overall good shape. We've had it about a year and half and we love it. We still have my full-size Dodge as a beater truck, but the Tacoma has been our general purpose riding-around and vacation truck. It's the crew cab/quad cab model and has a 5' bed with a roll-up cover. Our plan is to donate it to my son in a few years (if/when) he goes to college, and my wife will get a new/newer one. I'm hoping that I end up with it for a while anyway!

I've got no complaints about them. While we farm, we can get by with the small bed for the most part.

Good luck and take care.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #7  
I wish they'd change that TRD on the back to something else. You guys are calling them Taco's, but around here they're called turds.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill
Nice truck, what size bed is that?

Hi Murph. A shade over 6 feet.

As for the "turd" comment: If I saw a thread that talked about what I think of as turds, I would read about something more pleasant, but that's just me. :laughing:

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #9  
I had a 1996 Tacoma that I loved. I am seriously considering a new truck, and need a full sized truck for towing. I am looking at GMC and Tundra- but if could get by with a smaller truck I would just go and buy a Tacoma, no shopping around or anything.

Will

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill
Towing capacity is 6,500 lbs for this model.