Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe?

/ Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I've asked here about wood lathes, called some places that make things, called both high schools and reached a place in Canada... so far, I've stumbled around, then it hit me like a brick that maybe someone here might have an interest.

Scenario, Wife bought two columns to install in the master bedroom. She bought them at a salvage place hence, they do NOT include the caps or bases.

I've attached a picture (from the Canadian place) that is basically what we are trying to find/buy/make/steal. We have a slight difference in that this one is (I guess) the "male" version, and we need ours cut out so it will fit more like a coffee can lid OVER and around the column, rather than inside.

Roughly speaking, we need two with an INSIDE cutout of 9 3/4" and an OD of maybe an inch larger. We then need two as the base with 11 3/4" INSIDE cutout and again, about an inch larger OD.

Pictured is the round ring with the "mounting plate" behind it, or two pieces. our only "need" is for the cap piece, as she wants to make the mounting plate octagonal (though she's still debating that verses round) My preference would to have a second piece made, also round... basicallly just what is seen in the picture, but cut out in the middle so the column can fit INSIDE, rather than outside.

Ok..so the upshot is, does anyone have an interest, tools & desire to make this? We certainly expect to pay for the job, so no one is looking for any favors, other than that of finding someone that can do it and is willing.

If anyone has any interest, feel free to make comment here, or better, pm me and we can go over the details further.

Oh..btw, I made two very nice facsimilies of this last night using jigsaw. Proudly showed to wifey my fantastic accomplishment with freehand. My being here might give you an idea of what she thought /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Richard

Attachments

• 384674-COL-BASE2.jpg
    384674-COL-BASE2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 247
   / Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe? #2  
Could the round portion be cut using a circle cutter like rotozip has & then edged with a router?

/ Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe?
Not sure a rotozip will go through 3/4" wood very easily? I've got one, so if someone knows differently, I'd love to know.

/ Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe? #4  
I know they make a bit for wood cutting, ask at a store that sells them, I'm assuming soft wood?

Just a fyi in case someone tries to email me, I just found out my email blew up today. Probably 2 or 3 days til fixed, so if any takers, pm me here & we'll figure something out.

Sigh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif have I recently said I love bellsouth?

/ Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe? #6  
A roto-zip cutting thru 3/4 wood - no problem.

I used the basic Sears brand ($59) to cut thru .040 aluminum + 1" pine + 1/4" luan plywood with little problem. I used the combo 1/8 bit (Roto-zip blue package). This was the first time I used the tool and was very impressed with it's capability. Easy to use and set-up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Terry

Thats another vote, so I guess I stop at the boxstore on my way home & ask further. I have to admit I hadn't thought of the rotozip.

/ Someone want to make something for $$ on lathe? #8  
home depot sells a 3 legged table kit, looks like a stool without the rungs top part is round and I believe has some kind of corner shape already, not sure if top is solid pine or laminated but might work for you, will you paint or stain? because I know they also have plywood rounds in like 3 diff dia's.

This will be painted, so we don't need the fancier solid boards. We've looked at their choice of "capitals" as I've learned the technical name, they won't work on our application.

I made last nights attempt out of 3/4" birch plywood and might try again under the thought that the rotozip might work. (heading to HD soon to check it out)