Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #1  

BIGUN

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
I just bought a new Ford 2003 F-250 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel truck last week. After test driving the truck and experiencing the tremendous power and torque I was hooked. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Unlike myself, I bought the truck the same day without doing any research on it. I figured a top selling brand truck with their top of the line engine has got to be OK, right? After buying the truck I got on the Internet to read all the good things owners were probably saying. What a shock, it seems there have been many problems with this engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The two most talked about are leaking injectors (filling the crankcase full of diesel) and problems when “reflashing” the engine control computer (loss of power and/or fuel mpg).
The Ford service managers I have talked to in this area say they had some problems initially with a few of them but they have many more happy owners than unhappy ones. But I was wondering if that is the case or they are just giving me the official company response. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Does anyone here own one or personally know of someone who owns a ’03 power stroke and if the experience has been good or bad. I know there are sites dedicated to this truck/engine, but I wanted to hear from some TBN members on the subject.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #2  
We've got five in our family now. I'm on my second one. The first ones off the line had a few problems with injectors. There was a small leak in the rear diff. that was fixed. The one I just traded had 42,000 miles and had the injectors replaced and the rear diff. seal. Other than that it ran perfect. My new one has 10k on it and has been flawless. Nobody else in our family have had any problems at all. Most every new vehicle has a few problems with the introduction of a completely new design. It really wasn't near as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck
Thanks Richard. Good to hear from someone with a positive experience with these trucks even though you personally experienced the much talked about injector problem. Don’t hear a lot of positive experiences reading “thedieselstop.com”. Guess like someone said, the owners without problems are out driving their trucks while the owners with problems are posting their negative experiences. One person posted that 1 in 5 will have problems like this, matches your experience exactly. Hope I am one of the other 4. Did Ford replace all your injectors? Have been reading they only will pay for replacing two at a time even though there is a very good possibility the others will fail also if you have the defective ones.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #4  
Do you have a brand new truck? Only the very first ones had the bad injectors. They changed to the new design injector in June of last year. And of those there were many people that had no problems at all.

Actually on my truck I only had one bad injector. I had no diesel in my oil at all and never did on that truck. I had a good dealer though and he said he'd replace them all just to be safe. Never had one problem after that.

Yes, it is brand new, but was built March 2003, so I figure it has the old style injectors. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #6  
Yea you would have the old style injectors. Have you signed the papers yet? Is there a 48 hour period to return in your state? The march 03 ones are in the ones that had problems with the injectors, rear main leaking, and icp sensor.

Yeah, seems like everyone but me must have known that. Sure thats why they still had it on the lot, their last '03. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #8  
Bigun-

Go ahead and enjoy that new truck, just pay close attention to whats going on with it, and at the first sign of trouble get it to the dealer. Get everything recorded that happens to it (if anything) and make them make it right. The trucks are great, my brother in law bought an '03 in July, now has over 20,000 on it, and never had a problem. I bought an '04 Excursion in November (replaced an '01 with the 7.3 engine) and there is absolutely no comparison.

The dealer will make the difference IF you have issues, but don't borrow trouble, you may never have any.

Good luck!!

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #9  
Ford bought back over 30% of those trucks in 03 cause of engine problems just to keep their loyal Ford customers. Take a look at the site www.thedieselstop.com it is decatied mostly to fords and there are some good forums there to ask questions.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #10  
Bigun , I bought one in dec 02 , so it's an early one .
Had one problem with it . The FICM would go goofy occasionally (Fuel inj. control module ) . But there have been some horror stories with the earlier 03 "s.
John