A Wake Up Call

/ A Wake Up Call #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Had a situation develop....bear with me, takes a little telling to make my point.

This is for you guys who are retired or getting close to retirement age. And for you guys with children and grandchildren. For you gals too but it is 99% male on this site.

My wife and I were talking about our annual fall break vacation. For the past 5 years we have gone to Hilton Head Island for the first week or two in October. With a teacher daughter and one grand in school it is the only time we can go in the fall. Daughters and families come down and we have a good time eating seafood and playing on the beach. Very enjoyable times watching the kids and grandkids.

Anyway we decided to go somewhere different this year and Gulf Shores Alabama is also within a day's drive and the temps are 4-5 degrees warmer than Hilton Head in October. So we planned to spend a week or so there. While looking thru VRBO we found a house, on the beach, four bedrooms and three baths, no pool. A month was very little more than two weeks. Looked at it online for a couple days and couldn't make up my mind. Saw a friend and was talking to him about something else and mentioned we might be gone in October. "Why are you throwing money away on that," he asked me? "You could make a down payment on a new car for what it will cost you to spend a week there! He11, get an inflatable pool and let the kids play around it in the back yard!"

Hmmm,.....down payment on a new car. Was this vacation a waste of money?

But he is divorced and never sees his kids or grandkids.

Anyway, my wife and I talked about it and couldn't make up our minds. Finally called and got the place for a month. Nice place but we are not rich. Serious hit on the bank account.

Two hours after I paid for the month in the vacation house my mother called. One of my cousins, four years younger than me, had fell over dead from a heart attack.

No warnings. Sitting talking, fell over dead.

He and his wife had retired from their jobs the first of June. They had money saved up, were gonna travel some, them move to Florida and live the good life.

He had eleven weeks of retirement.

Got me to thinking. In thirty years I will probably be gone. What would be more important, having a new car (or at least a good down payment on one) or my grandkids having the memories of playing in the sand during the day and chasing crabs on the beach at night with granddaddy and granna there with them? Would my daughters remember a new car or would they remember Mom and Dad taking them and their families for a week or more on the beach. I know how hard it is for a young couple with children to come up with the funds to take a vacation.

No choice at all!!

People, build memories with your kids and grandkids. Be a positive influence, take them places, teach them things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is spend your money on memories, not things. Things can be replaced, memories cannot.

Climbing off my soapbox.

RSKY

/ A Wake Up Call #2  
Good call. I like your attitude. :thumbsup:

/ A Wake Up Call #3  
Years ago we rented a beach house and had my mother in law and her best pal come stay with us and the kids for a week. Some of our very best family memories.

/ A Wake Up Call #4  
Agree - make the memories!!

When I was married, my now-ex-wife rarely wanted to go anywhere. Before we were married, she claimed that she liked to go on vacation but afterwards... oh, well. We only went on a couple of family vacations. Whenever I suggested that we go somewhere her response was something like "if we can afford to do that, we can afford to do ___________ to the house" (or get a new car or something similar). My parents liked to travel and would often take my daughters places. My oldest went on a 3+ week trip out west to Yellow Stone, etc. She still has great memories of doing that in my parent's motor home.

My current much better half loves the beach and we go every year in the fall. It's something we look forward to and, even though it's a hit on the wallet, we make it work.

A good friend of mine (we've known each other since we were 16) has a cushy federal job. He makes right at $100k per year, no overtime and somewhere around 6 weeks of vacation, plus the 11 (or is it 13?) Federal Holidays. He's very frugal and has saved a lot of money and will have his post-divorce house paid off in another 5 years or so. When his kids were smaller, they never went on vacation in spite of his now-ex-wife wanting to go places. His excuse was that they needed to save for retirement. The only family "vacations" they went on were either out to LA to see his brother or to St. Augustine to stay in his sister's timeshare. He did take his wife to a couple of nice destinations like London, but that was only because he was traveling there for work and the Federal Government picked up his airfare, hotel, etc. She finally got tired of it and filed for divorce. He now has a nest egg but will never enjoy it. He took his kids on a trip a few weeks ago (to visit his brother AGAIN!) and they spent a couple of days in Vegas. He was telling me how angry he got out there over the fact that his kids wanted to go to some organic restaurant with super high prices and super small portions. He'll never figure it out.

My feeling is that money is a tool that you use to enjoy life. I'm certainly not advocating that you spend like a drunken sailor and never save for the future, but I do think there's a happy medium in there somewhere. So I agree 100% that the memories the grandkids will have with you are things that they'll remember for all their lives and will hopefully affect them, positively, once they have kids. And, since you and the little lady have the place for a month, you get some nice romantic alone time in a beach house! You can't beat that either!! :)

/ A Wake Up Call #5  
Aint no luggage rack on a hearse.
Time lost with your family you can never get back.

/ A Wake Up Call #6  
I'll take the memories anytime.

/ A Wake Up Call #7  
Keep in mind, there is a window, health wise for doing what you want to do. What you can do at 65 or 70, you may not be able to do at 80 or 90...and that includes something as simple as wading in the ocean at Megan's Beach in St. Thomas USVI (man, how I love that beach!).

/ A Wake Up Call
Found out yesterday that one friend is flying down to spend a week while the oldest daughter is there. Another friend is coming to stay a while the second week when youngest daughter there. Her granddaughters are in a volleyball tournament in Gulf Shores and we have stayed for a week in one of their condos. Think another couple will come spend the last week with us.

Strange thing is I have a doctor's appointment on the 20th. So we will leave Gulf Shores on the 19th, spend the night at home and go to the doctor the next day. Then mow our yard and the two others I've somehow become responsible for. Spend the next two days, 21st and 22nd, bush hogging two farms. Leave on the 23rd to drive to Columbus Ohio for a wedding on the 24th. Leave on the 25th and drive back to Gulf Shores. Stopping in Lexington, KY for a couple hours to see a new great niece/nephew.

Takes three months to get an appointment with my knee doctor. He is that good! So I hate to change the appointment.

Farms aren't supposed to be mowed until after October 1st. But maybe,......hmmm,.....a few days early won't hurt. So if I rearrange the doctor's visit and mow a little early we can leave Alabama on 23rd, attend wedding on 24th, drive to Lexington after the wedding, see the new baby and drive the nine hours back to Gulf Shores on the 25th.

We'll need another vacation after that!

I have got some serious rearranging to do!!!!

Oh well, life goes on.

RSKY

/ A Wake Up Call #10