Where do Riblets come from?

/ Where do Riblets come from? #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I was eating lunch at a Applebees in Sturgeon Bay, WI and thought the riblets on the menu was a cute word for down to earth pork spare ribs.

To my surprise, the meat strips were full of flat segmented bones. I was thinking that I was knawing on some backbone, neck or a tail.

Can someone fill me in (no pun intended) as to what I was eating /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Where do Riblets come from? #2  
<font color="green"> Can someone fill me in (no pun intended) as to what I was eating ?
</font>

A small bioengineered pig-like rodent developed by corporate-ag-comglomerates originally designed for NASA to served out of a tube on the Mercury space missions, but eventually adopted by the fast food industry.

/ Where do Riblets come from? #3  
These very same short legged critters are also used to make Naugahyde. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Where do Riblets come from? #4  
And their pelts are used to make Faux Fur coats. . .

/ Where do Riblets come from? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A small bioengineered pig-like rodent developed by corporate-ag-comglomerates originally designed for NASA to served out of a tube on the Mercury space missions, but eventually adopted by the fast food industry. )</font>

That reminds me of the email that floated around a few years ago saying that Kentucky Fried Chicken was now called KFC, because their products were no longer officially chicken, but bioengineered creatures with multiple legs and no heads.

The truth was that the Kentucky state legislature registered the word Kentucky as a trademark and the chicken people would have to start paying royalties to the state government, so they decided it was cheaper to simply change the name of the place to "KFC."

/ Where do Riblets come from? #6  
Riblets sounds like the sound that a frog would make, so I would draw the conclusion that riblets must come from frogs? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Where do Riblets come from? #7  
The term "pork riblets" may be used to describe the rib portion of the neck bones.

Somehow this does not sound quite as cute. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Where do Riblets come from? #8  
Dumbdog might be onto something here. They might call them riblets because they cannot be legally be called ribs.

/ Where do Riblets come from? #9  
I've wondered the same thing because I can't buy them in the store anywhere I've looked, but I don't wonder about it too much -- I just go to Applebees every chance I get when they have all-you-can-eat riblets and eat myself into such a stupor that I stop wondering about where they come from.

/ Where do Riblets come from? #10  
I would tell you where they came from, but then you wouldn't eat them and everyone here would be angry with me.. suffice it to say, that they are eatable, just not describable..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh...... as for KFC having to pay a royalty to the state of Kentucky if they continued to use the name... well, that is just one more of the INTERNET hoax's.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif