Rescued a dog tonight.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
One of the roads we use drops down into a ravine, crossing over a creek before climbing back up the other side. Some people use the area to dump unwanted pets though there are alternatives.

We were on a tight time line earlier this week when we drove by the area and saw yet another dog, a german shepard, waiting dutifully along the road for the perp/owner that had obviously dumped him. My wife went back later that day and tried to catch him but he ran into a drain pipe. She left him some food and continued to try to catch him for the next couple of days to no avail.

She got a group of people together today to try to rescue the dog. I had spent the day outside in the heat cutting and sanding various pieces of wood for updating our house. Finishing for the day, I had gone to the barn to tend to the horses when my wife brought me her phone. Seems her friends had gotten lost so I directed them to our place but they got lost again. Having finished my chores, I offerred to help once the others showed.

Well after dark when we pulled up to the spot with the dog dutifully still waiting, he immediately ran into the drain pipe. I knew what had to be done and looking at the cantidates, knew that I was elected. The drain pipe ended in mid air over the creek so I had to drop down from the top and crawl into a 24 inch diameter pipe over open space. The pipe was two 20 foot sections overall with the last 15 feet filled with a couple of inches of gravel and stone. I pushed the dog towards the other end where our friends had a cage set up. He was scared but not aggressive. As we got closer, someone managed to loop a lead over his head and they got him crated though he was wanting to bolt.

We have no room for more dogs so our friends will get him cleaned up and fostered until an adopter is found. Other than dirty and bitten up by bugs or fleas, he was in pretty fair shape. I don't figure it will be long before someone takes him.

Me? I have been "gimping" around on a bad knee avoiding surgury for a month or so now. I really did not need to be crawling through a drain pipe but you gotta' do what you gotta' do, lol!

Anyway, this boy was one of the lucky ones. Most of the throw away's around here get put down.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #4  
Well done. I love dogs and hate to see them mistreated. It's nice to know there are others out there who care.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #5  
I don't even come close to understanding how someone can take a dog that loves them and dump them out on the side of the road. It is just beyond my ability ti think like that. Thanks for helping the dog. Ed

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #6  
I understand how & why it happens in our area. I live near a college town - students bring a cute puppy with them to college in fall quarter. By spring quarter the dog is no longer a cute little puppy and they find ways to "dump" them. I've had no less than 4-5 dogs, that I know of, abandoned at the end of my driveway. I take them in and provide a good home.

About 5-6 years ago a neighbor & I went and talked to the Dean of Admissions at this college about this unfortunate situation. They have taken very aggressive steps to insure that this does not occur. From that time, until now, there have been no dogs abandoned at my driveway. I went back and thanked them last year - their actions may have saved many animals from a most frightening end.

This still does not explain how a supposedly intelligent young adult can do something like this to an animal.

You have done a very good thing QRTRHRS.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #7  
Thanks for caring and rescuing the GSD. Like Ed, I have trouble comprehending how people dump dogs. Untrained, any dog can be a handful or worse but almost every dog I've ever encountered wanted to be around people. And with a little training give back so much more than they require.

We adopted a GSD, Sammie,almost two month ago. I cut off the early challenge to my authority early on and she has been wonderful since. She is sitting on the floor by my feet now. She has to follow us through doors, she eats after we're done eating, she gets no food for begging, with a head halter, she walks beautifully on a leash. She's part of the family. She loves neck rubs, gentle scratching behind the ears and playing fetch.

Good luck finding a home for your rescue. Trained properly, dogs are a wonderful part of any family.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #8  
A very good deed above & beyond. There's a lot that get dumped out in our area and our farm seems to be a magnet for strays. Of course we end up taking care of them. I guess they know a sucker when they see one ;)

image-1985476498.jpg

Sent from the mountains

/ Rescued a dog tonight.
At least this guy was in pretty good shape, some of the drop offs have been starved and/or beaten. We have even seen pregnant females dumped there to have their litters under the bridge.

I did not think to take some photos of the dog having left my phone in our car. When the people who are tending to him get some good photos posted, I will try to link to one. My wife showed me a Facebook posting they made already. He is a nice looking dog and seems to have a gental disposition so we think he will quickly find a new home.

/ Rescued a dog tonight. #10  
At least this guy was in pretty good shape, some of the drop offs have been starved and/or beaten. We have even seen pregnant females dumped there to have their litters under the bridge.

I did not think to take some photos of the dog having left my phone in our car. When the people who are tending to him get some good photos posted, I will try to link to one. My wife showed me a Facebook posting they made already. He is a nice looking dog and seems to have a gental disposition so we think he will quickly find a new home.

Like they say, Country folks never have to buy a dog. I too have wondered how people can dump a dog, or for that matter, do some of the inhumane things they do. I have concluded that there is an element in most people, given the right circumstances, that will enable or compel them to do unkind or even very evil things. I can't imagine mistreating an animal, although I will admit that my sympathies are directly proportional to my age and experience. Good job on the part of the OP! Kudos!