How big is my mixer

/ How big is my mixer #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I bought a concrete mixer at a garage sale and I am wanting to know what size and how many bags of Quikrete I could easily put in per mixing. Would it mix two - 80 pound bags at the same time or just one - 60 pound bag? I ask because I have never ran a mixer in my life. I am wanting to make a 240 pound weight for my lawn aerator and figured someone here has ran a mixer like this one and knows what size bag will fit the best.

The inside dimensions of the tub are;
21" diameter at the widest spot
24" deep
14" at the opening

20150908_151708_resized.jpg20150908_153256_resized.jpg

/ How big is my mixer #2  
I have a mixer that looks very similar. It will mix four 60 pound bags, but it is easier to dump with just 2.

/ How big is my mixer
I imagine when 4 - 60 lb bags get past the tipping point on the way out that it would just slam down onto the stop. Maybe even tipping its self and the wheelbarrow over. That first load could flatten out a large learning curve. :)

/ How big is my mixer #4  
the concrete mixer i have. looks approx same size. i generally do not over load it, due to wanting to keep all the slop of concrete/water mixing inside the unit, and not a big mess around it. along with using wheel barrows to 5 gallon buckets. not wanting to have to lift / move a couple hundred lbs of concrete at a time. so generally it goes between 1 to 2 80# lbs of concrete.

it takes practice getting correct amount of concrete / water mix ratio. when you are physically troweling it on say concrete block wall, to making a little sidewalk or a little pad to set something on a concrete pad. to wet or to dry = more difficulty in applying the concrete.

mixing concrete and dumping it down say a hole for a post is one thing. but everything else it does take some practice. keep it in smaller batches say 1 to 2 bags at a time. and only mix enough that you can use in a short amount of time.

be careful of fiber concrete... the fiber can tear up your skin / hands pretty quickly. (make sure you wear rubber gloves), also just general concrete make sure you wear gloves and keep concrete off your skin. folks can get what is known more like "concrete poisoning" i don't remember correct term, but the concrete soaks into your skin and can mess you pretty badly.

=============
for a 240 lbs concrete weight for tractor.... 60# lbs bags to 80lbs bags... does it really make a difference? mix a bag at a time and get a feel for how to mix concrete and learn the unit. so when you get on other projects, you are not experimenting as much to learn about how to mix concrete. ((obtaining a better water / concrete mix ratio))

/ How big is my mixer
I think i'll buy 60 lb bags, they are easier to handle and it sounds like 2 at a time might be just about right. I will be trying for a 5" slump or less.

/ How big is my mixer #7  
FWIW...mixing and pouring concrete using bagged products or with fine and course aggregate and portland...is fine...but...if the pour is going to be exposed to freeze/thaw conditions an air entraining agent should be added to every batch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_entrainment

Also, for many projects the bagged concrete etc. mixes are OK as is...but for more durability and strength it is recommended that additional portland cement be added...

/ How big is my mixer #8  
for a 240 lbs concrete weight for tractor.... 60# lbs bags to 80lbs bags... does it really make a difference?
mix a bag at a time and get a feel for how to mix concrete and learn the unit. so when you get on other
projects, you are not experimenting as much to learn about how to mix concrete.

Yeah, that's good advice. Such a tiny pour could be done in a wheelbarrow with a hoe.

I prefer the 60# high-strength bags myself, and I recently poured my swale bridge. Note that
a 60# bag is half a cubic foot. Wet, it will be about 75#, so only about 3 bags will be needed
to reach 240#. Add some gravel to make up the slight shortfall.

In this photo, I am pouring about 5 bags at a time, at about 0 slump. I can do as much as
8 bags (4+cf) at a time with this mixer, no way near the 8.5 cf it is quoted to handle. Even 5
60-pounders, wet, is gonna be close to 400# at a time.

Attachments

• pouring_concrete.jpg
    pouring_concrete.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 139
   / How big is my mixer #9  
In this photo, I am pouring about 5 bags at a time, at about 0 slump. I can do as much as
8 bags (4+cf) at a time with this mixer, no way near the 8.5 cf it is quoted to handle. Even 5
60-pounders, wet, is gonna be close to 400# at a time.

that is called cheating, using FEL with mixer attached to it! *laughs hard*
nice setup!

/ How big is my mixer #10  
I buy 60 pound bags. They are even cheaper per pound than an 80 pound bag.,