VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean?

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #2  
Who knew.

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #3  
Tell the EPA to worry about the mess they made in Colorado before they go accusing anyone else of anything.

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #4  
I own a 2010 Jetta TDI. It's been a good car till about 130,000 miles. All signs point to cracked (internally) DPF. After a lot of reading most VW dealers fix it by replacing the DPF, both cats, the valve in the exhaust, the egr valve and egr filter. All this to the tune of $6,500 to $8,000! Wish I had read up a bit more before purchasing this car. My fix will be a complete delete of all those systems and a Malone tune in the ECM. About $1,350 doing it myself. Now with these new revelations, I'm thinking VW owes all of us owners a lot of money! The faulty programming is probably accelerating these failures.

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #5  
VW is not the first to get caught doing this, Mack made the same "mistake".

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #6  
I will stay with gas))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #8  
Just look at GM and faulty ignition switches, more than 100 deaths. No one going to jail. Just last week, the ***** admin said CEO's will be held accountable for white collar crimes. I guess large fines make things right? With the GM bailout, my tax dollars are paying the fine!

mark

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #9  
The faulty programming is probably accelerating these failures.

It was not 'faulty' programming.

VW has been accused, and admitted to if news reports are correct, to having special code in the ECM that allowed them to pass emissions tests with flying colors, claim to be Clean Diesels, etc.

I could understand how VW could rig vehicles for the Federal EPA testing, e.g., just send them vehicles with special ECMs. It's not clear to me how vehicles passed the various state emissions tests, i.e., how was the ECM switched into 'Pass The Emissions Test' mode when owners had them tested/inspected.

/ VW Clean diesels.... how did they get them so clean? #10  
...do they have any software switches so you can get them to roll coal? :rolleyes:

Must be the car detects when it's plugged in.

Why do I get the feeling some of these stories are exaggerated?
Do they really spew as much as 40 times as much pollution as allowed?
All the stories are very thin on details and no description of what is actually "switched".

I drive a VW, but gas. I was tempted to buy the diesel, there's still a few 300,000- 500,000 mile VW diesel's from the 80's around. It would be nice to have a 300,000 mile engine, but the only problem (besides EPA emissions) is that now days those diesel engines have a 75,000 mile life turbo.