2003 F150 Transmission issues.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
My old truck is starting to show its age. It has 124k miles on it. 5.4 V8, 4x4 Supercrew. For about a year it has some symptoms which I think are due to the transmission but they are intermittent and hard to pin down. It is almost a surging, shuddering sensation but it does not change gears. No change in engine RPMs. It almost feels like it is losing drive from the engine, almost as if you depressed a clutch pedal for a microsecond and then engaged it just as quickly. (Of course this is an automatic trans). The typical scenario is this: usually going about 40-55 mph with neutral or light throttle input. Almost always in overdrive but it will do it to a much lesser extent with OD off. It never happens under acceleration or braking. It never happens with a loaded trailer. No evidence of overheating. It seemed to get a little better following a recent change of transmission fluid but I'm not sure if they changed the filter or not. There have been no check-engine lights so I don't think it is the engine.

I'm pretty sure this is something I can't fix. The reason I'm posting is that I know nothing about automatic transmissions. I don't even know how to guess what is wrong or even how to describe it to a mechanic. It does not happen regularly enough to expect it to happen if they test drive it. But, when it does happen it is noticeable, even to passengers and now I'm too nervous to use it to trailer my car to the track or take any long trips in it.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be much appreciated. Really hoping a transmission filter change might help.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #2  
I'm no transmission guy myself but it sounds like the trans is not getting proper fluid flow. At 124K the fluid and filter should have been changed at least twice. At least that's when I change mine (50K). If you can change oil and filter on you motor its fairly easy to replace the transmission filter and fluid. Most auto parts stores have the filters in stock.
Not sure where you had fluid changed but there are some places that never drop the trans pan to even check the filter, they just suck out what they can and replace with new fluid. I'd change the filter and fluid to try and fix first. If that doesn't help then a trip to the transmission shop may be in order.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #3  
This sounds like the issue my van has had in the past, it had to do with clogged EGR passages. It only happened in top gear at low engine speeds (45mph-ish) when lightly touching the gas. It is not a Ford but sounds to similar not to mention. A search google of f150 surging brings up a bunch of hits. Is the service engine soon light on?

interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrMsh5ciVdY

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues.
I'm pretty sure filter and fluid changed around 50k. Certain that fluid changed around 110k but not sure about filter. All done at dealership. I'll check with them to see if filter changed at 110k.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #5  
Consider speed sensors (and related wiring, connectors), if you haven't yet.

Transmission itself may have them, and many Ford trucks use a speed sensor in the rear diff. If the rear diff hasn't been serviced, sometimes all it takes is changing the oil and cleaning the sensor to cure what seems like a trani issue.

Rgds, D.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #6  
On my Merc it was the variable cam sensors that needed replaced.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #7  
Consider speed sensors (and related wiring, connectors), if you haven't yet.

Transmission itself may have them, and many Ford trucks use a speed sensor in the rear diff. If the rear diff hasn't been serviced, sometimes all it takes is changing the oil and cleaning the sensor to cure what seems like a trani issue.

Rgds, D.
This makes me think of an issue Fords often have, the wire to the rear diff sensor sometimes gets intermittent. You may start to see it as a fluctuation in your speedometer needle. That will really confuse a tranny. The only thing that gets me is you say it only shows at certain speed/rpm/accelerator pressure. This is why I pointed to the EGR earlier. If you have a tach watch it closely when it happens.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #8  
Had a similar problem turned out to be a bad coil pack believe it or not. Before you do anything take it to an auto parts store have them pull codes. A slight miss in overdrive will feel like a transmission issue at times.

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues. #9  
I had a similar issue and like tman1020, it was a bad coil pack. Fixed that and the problem went away. About 1k later, the tranny went out though...

/ 2003 F150 Transmission issues.
I would think that cam sensors, EGR valve, speed sensors and coil packs would all throw a CEL code. Not sure about the speed sensor on the diff but I think it would probably throw a code too.

One thought that has not occurred to me (big dummy) is to check the transmission fluid level.:ashamed: I will do that today. However, there have been no leaks that I can see so that probably isn't it either.