Looking for a monocular.

/ Looking for a monocular. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I need a monocular to put in my shave kit for when we travel. I always forget my binoculars. I want something 7-10 power. Something that can be slipped into pants pocket.

Any suggestion or advice?

/ Looking for a monocular. #2  
Academy Sports has several to choose from, purchased one for sporting events.

/ Looking for a monocular. #3  
Cabela's, Gander Mountain, REI, Amazon. Even have them with range finders.

They are pretty handy.

/ Looking for a monocular.
Any experience with a particular brand or model? Any advice on what power?

Gander Mountain has a 10 x 25 for $10 that gets good reviews. I was expecting to pay much more.

Anybody got one? I have found that you get what you pay for in stuff like this so would I be throwing $10 away?

Thanks in advance for your input.

/ Looking for a monocular. #5  
Any experience with a particular brand or model? Any advice on what power?

Gander Mountain has a 10 x 25 for $10 that gets good reviews. I was expecting to pay much more.

Anybody got one? I have found that you get what you pay for in stuff like this so would I be throwing $10 away?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The quality of the lens is the key factor. The larger the objective lens the more light gets in and the better the resolution. Being waterproof and nitrogen purged to prevent fogging are a must. You can pay a $1,000 for the top of the line.
Bushnell, Steiner, Nikon make some good reasonably price models.

I'm looking for under $100 for occasional use on trips. Most are 8 or 10 power with 25mm optics. Now I've found a larger 16x52 monocular telescope on Amazon. Quite a lot larger, wouldn't fit in my shave kit. Having fun searching the web and driving my wife nuts describing them.

/ Looking for a monocular. #7  
I've found the 8 X has a better image than the 10x Nikon lens seems pretty good. Stay away from brands like barska, tasco etc. optics planet is a good place to look

After a long review of what is available on various web sites I have decided to go the cheap route. The monocular will live in my "long trip" large shave kit and will be used only on vacation. It will be used a lot by young grandkids. So I am going to stop by a Gander Mountain tomorrow and spend ten-twenty bucks on one. The Nikons, etc. look great but I can't see putting out that kind of money for a seldom used toy. Thanks for everybody's input.

And we are taking a break from our vacation today because I cut my foot Friday night hunting crabs with a two year old.

/ Looking for a monocular. #9  
Try out the various powers but it is very hard to hold binoculars steady when the power is much above 7. I would not think holding a monocular would be steadier than binoculars.

Later,
Dan

Stopped at a Bass Pro Shop and looked at their selection of monoculars. They had models on display up to several hundred dollars. The clerk said he had worked in the department for a while and even though I looked at some of the higher priced ones he steered me to a cheaper one. I ended up buying the Pursuit X1. It is a 10 power with a 42mm objective lens. The focus control is above the main body and is easy to use. The front lens is adjustable for wearing glasses or not. I am very pleased with my purchase. It feels like a solidly built tool. The others were all ten power with 25 mm lens and took two hands to focus. The pursuit can be adjusted with your index finger of the hand you are holding it with. The clerk said boat owners liked that because it left a hand free to hold on with. Time will tell about the sturdiness of the tool. Good day to all and thanks for your input. RSKY