"Black Friday Sales and Deals...."

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
Just an observation here: If retailers make such a huge profit on sales today, why don't they offer comparable deals as are advertised today at least one day a month year around and increase profits? It irks me no end places offer super deals one day a year like an HDTV for $299 and then limit the quantity available.

And no, we did not go out shopping either yesterday or today.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #2  
Basically called 'bait and hook'.
Not a scam, but darn near. (usual is to state XX available).
The goal is to lure you to the store and then being disappointed they gamble that you will buy the next closest (that is profitable).

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #3  
super deals one day a year

Our local community has an annual event called "Sidewalk Days". The merchants bring out all their junk they can't sell the rest of the year and try to unload it on that day. Black Friday is basically the same thing ... an attempt to clear crap inventory.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #4  
What turns me off about Black Friday is you can shop online BUT if you look closely, most of the items are "in store pickup only". What's the point of shopping online if I have to go to the store? Best But has great deals on laptops and I was going to buy one until I saw that.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #5  
I've been looking at getting a new TV and some of the sales prices are very tempting, but they are not the model I want. All the deals are on the older models, smaller sizes and models with lousy reviews. I might just wait until the after Christmas sale and see if the price drops then.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #6  
I read an article that claimed that a lot of black friday items are special-built one off models for that purpose only. Especially in electronics, they will make a stripped down version with cheaper parts and features omitted. So if you are looking at a Whizbang 47" tv that normally retails for $399, they will slip in a nearly identical looking version for $189 with a different model number in very small print at the bottom of the ad, to get you in the store to kick, slash, and pummel your way to the limited stack of them.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #7  
I read an article that claimed that a lot of black friday items are special-built one off models for that purpose only. Especially in electronics, they will make a stripped down version with cheaper parts and features omitted. So if you are looking at a Whizbang 47" tv that normally retails for $399, they will slip in a nearly identical looking version for $189 with a different model number in very small print at the bottom of the ad, to get you in the store to kick, slash, and pummel your way to the limited stack of them.

Read the same thing. Sadly the sheeple don't take the time to research the model and find out that its a stripped bare unit in most cases with exactly what you pointed out above in your posting (inferior quality).

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #8  
Never been a fan of 'Black Friday',
but our TV gave up the ghost day before so timing was just right.

Spent last night on line checking specs and prices.
Size was very important as it needs to fit a specific dedicated space.
Walked in and purchased an exact fit at a great price.
Also checked stock B4 going to the store.

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #9  
The best sales for TV's (larger ones anyway) is just before the Super Bowl...
Curious if anyone went for the $99 HD video drone (save $50) that TSC was advertising?

/ "Black Friday Sales and Deals...." #10  
I used to work black Friday when I was doing retail, its a long day.
Now that I have my own small carving business I do take part in the shop local shows that we have. I did a show on Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday show I was the only "maker"(someone who makes their own products) there. The rest were re-sellers, selling products for a big company like sensy, and mary kay. Its a bit frustrating when that happens, as they have marketing, advertising, ect and products make in China competing with people who are their whole business.
I try to do mostly juried craft maker shows, etsy, and now amazon handmade (just go in!)