Today's new cars are way overpowered...

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered...
oosik...I have to wonder how your neighbor can afford to buy his 19 year old son a new 400 hp car, let alone afford the insurance. BTW, my understanding is that automakers are downsizing engines to increase fuel mileage and adding turbos to make up for the reduced displacement...which is counterproductive. My sis in law has a 2014 Equinox...pretty sure it's got the 2.5 Ecotec and she says she averages nearly 25 mpg and her vehicle weighs as much as the new Malibu does. The older Malibus used the same basic Ecotec engine..why downsize an engine to gain mpg and turbocharge it to add power when mpg stays the same?

Makes no sense to me at all.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #13  
This is progress. My 1995 Bonneville had a 3.8ltr. and averaged 29 mpg on the highway. My 2009 Legacy has a 2.5ltr. It averages 25mpg. Why, because the 3.8 ran at 1800 rpm at 75 mph. the 2.5 runs 3000 rpm at 75 mph. Smaller engine and less hp equals more work for the engine. More work more fuel.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #14  
What's so puzzling, is we had a 1983 Honda Accord that would get as much as 40 mpg on a trip. Wife has a 2014 Mazda CX-5 that doesn't do that well.

Quick check - 1983 Accord, weight about 2100 lbs, 75 hp engine, small sedan with low roof height.

2014 Mazda CX-5, weight about 3200 lbs, 155 hp engine, boxy, somewhat tall SUV.

Getting close to the same gas mileage would be a minor miracle.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered...
KennyG is right about weight being a fuel mileage killer. Back in 1978 my employer purchased a GMC Vandura 35 one ton cargo van...it had the standard 292 six and automatic but no air conditioning. It struggled to get 11 mpg...it was the weight that made a lot of difference. The former work van was a 1970 Chevyvan half ton with a 350 V8...it would deliver at least 4 mpg better overall.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #16  
Pull all the emission crap off these new vehicles and fuel mileage will increase

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #18  
I read a couple of years ago that the average car on the road then got about the same mileage as the average car in 1980. Cars have come a long way, that's for sure, but in most cases, and for many many years, almost all of the technology advances were in performance, not fuel economy.

The "loss" in mileage in the "same" vehicle . Is because vehicle weight for the same "size" vehicle has went up hundreds of pounds . The crumple zones, anti locks, air bags, power seats, sun roofs, side impact reinforcement , more sound insulation etc etc etc all add weight . Weight is relatively minor in highway driving however weight dramatically deteriates city stop and go mileage.
Darn. Just read through the posts and seen that Kenny beat me to it.

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #19  
The first few posts remind me of a religious notepad from the '60s, with suggested hymns to sing at various speeds.
The only two that I can remember;
At 110mph, sing "Nearer my God to thee"
At 120mph, sing "Open your arms Lord, I'm coming home!"

/ Today's new cars are way overpowered... #20  
Also, take the ethanol out the gas and you will get better mileage.

Reduce MPG is because of weight from safety equipment and gadgets we put in the cars. My z28 had AC and a five speed transmission. No power anything except steering. Twas a very light car with lots of thin plastic that rattled and drove me nuts. :mad::laughing::laughing::laughing:

But I blame ethanol as well. When we bought our new but used SUV we were getting about 17/18 MPG which was bad but expected. Now we get 15/16 mpg. We have done everything we could do get the MPG up but no go. I can only think that ethanol is the problem since I believe NC was still using MTBE when we bought the SUV.

Later,
Dan