The day the music died.

/ The day the music died. #21  
Hey...I really don't care for commercial music either...(and not trying to play "six degrees...") but since you mentioned 'Freebird"... One of Lynyrd Skynyrd's other hits was 'Call Me the Breeze'...written by J.J. Cale...!

Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover is good but it doesn't come anywhere close to the original by the man himself IMO

/ The day the music died. #22  
That was of course the day that Buddy Holley died. Lately though, we are losing some of what I would term "our generations" greats. David Bowie, Glenn Fry and a number of actors.

With a leap of faith, I get the feeling that many of the members are more or less my vintage (65)? If so, going back to the crazy days of the late sixties and early seventies, no matter what, we had some great music. Certainly much better than what IMHO is being made today. It seems like rock songs try to hard to cover to many themes, country is for those that cannot make it in the rock world, etc, etc.

Anyway, we are barely into the new year and everyday we hear of someone that once was (or perhaps still is) relavent passing on. RIP

I'm 63. Not only did we have great music, growing up in the 50s, 60s, and 70s was the absolute best time to grow up, in my opinion. Life was pretty simple with family activities, everybody had steady work, you could trust people, you could earn and save, college was affordable. Oh the good old days. And I'm not saying that people today can't be trusted, but in the general sense that society as a whole has declined to where you have to double check stuff before trusting like we used to.

/ The day the music died. #23  
Pretty much every generation, with the possible exception of the depression (the real depression, not 2008), will tell you their youth was the best time to grow up.

/ The day the music died. #24  
Can you imagine the conversation in 60 or so years when Beeber and Kanye die ( assuming they live a full life ) ... Everyone talking about how great their music was . .....eeeek.

/ The day the music died. #25  
Can you imagine the conversation is 60 or so years when Beeber and Kanye die ( assuming they live a full life ) ... Everyone talking about how great their music was . .....eeeek.

No. No I can't.

/ The day the music died. #26  
Can you imagine the conversation is 60 or so years when Beeber and Kanye die ( assuming they live a full life ) ... Everyone talking about how great their music was . .....eeeek.

Who? :D

/ The day the music died. #27  
Ok, I'm not old,37, but I'm not real sure many will care when Kanye and Bieber die. They will probably be forgotten in a few more years anyway. My 13 year old can't stand either one of them and my ten year old is with everyone else that thinks Bieber should be deported back to Canada. There are some good rock bands playing "today's music," but nothing compares to the stuff in the 60's and 70's IMO.

/ The day the music died. #28  
Ok, I'm not old,37, but I'm not real sure many will care when Kanye and Bieber die. They will probably be forgotten in a few more years anyway. My 13 year old can't stand either one of them and my ten year old is with everyone else that thinks Bieber should be deported back to Canada. There are some good rock bands playing "today's music," but nothing compares to the stuff in the 60's and 70's IMO.

I grew up with 80s Rock and some earlier rock bands as well. Was never a Elvis fan but went to Graceland last year and did the tour. After that I started listening to him on Pandora. He really was a talented man.

/ The day the music died.
Pretty much every generation, with the possible exception of the depression (the real depression, not 2008), will tell you their youth was the best time to grow up.
And many of those generations had some good music but I would argue that the music "heated up" as the sixties progressed like never before. We could argue about who was better than who or who did not get the credit that they deserved. Not much different than today?

Anyway, some good comments here. Familiar names we might not have thoght about lately. True, we lost many good musicians along the way due to various reasons. Here at the beginning of the year though, we do not seem to be off to a good start. It hits home when you know that these people are gone due to cancer or other maladies those of our vintage face.

/ The day the music died. #30  
Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover is good but it doesn't come anywhere close to the original by the man himself IMO
I wore both an 8-track and a cassette out of the album 'Naturally' until they were clear and would play no more...I think this is my favorite (self recorded) title though: