Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #1  

jlgurr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705, John Deere STX46
Anyone here using a remote hard disk on a wireless router in their house?

We have an older router that works OK but wanting to upgrade so that I can do laptop backups without directly connecting the backup disk to the laptop. In other words I was hoping to have a router that a hard drive (or two) could be connected to it and be accessible by other users on the router.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #2  
Anyone here using a remote hard disk on a wireless router in their house?

We have an older router that works OK but wanting to upgrade so that I can do laptop backups without directly connecting the backup disk to the laptop. In other words I was hoping to have a router that a hard drive (or two) could be connected to it and be accessible by other users on the router.

Thanks,
Jeff

It is called NAS Network Attached Storage. They are readily available. The hard drive is stand alone on your network with its own IP address. Another way to accomplish this is to have a desktop on your network with one or more hard drives attached to it and share those drives to all the workstations (like your laptop) on your network that you want. This is perhaps a more cost effective solution for a home user. Because you may likely have such a PC on the network already. Cost could be zero if its internal hard drive is big enough, or add a simple USB hard drive, for a low cost. or like I do, have several cascading hard drives that back each other up. All rather easy and inexpensive to do.

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive
The breadth of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

James, I want exactly what you described I just didn't know what it was called. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #4  
Seagate makes a nice 2TB NAS, as I recall it was a bit north of $100. It originally came with some backup software that was not compatible after upgrading to WIN10. I switched over to Windows backup, which has worked without any issues since.

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #5  
Some of the current routers have USB ports for printers and disks. I have one setup this way and it works fine. There are also NAS disks as mentioned above that connect to the network. I also have one of these connected to my router. It also works ok.

The disk connected to USB port on router that I have has NAS and FTP and Media server available in router for it.

Seagate makes a nice 2TB NAS, as I recall it was a bit north of $100. It originally came with some backup software that was not compatible after upgrading to WIN10. I switched over to Windows backup, which has worked without any issues since.

Are you still using the seagate, just without their software?

<CSIHelper: 0x145e0d50>

Some of the current routers have USB ports for printers and disks. I have one setup this way and it works fine. There are also NAS disks as mentioned above that connect to the network. I also have one of these connected to my router. It also works ok. The disk connected to USB port on router that I have has NAS and FTP and Media server available in router for it.

We have an older linksys wireless router with USB ports that I've connected a drive to. It's just really slow, like ridiculous slow, data transfer rates.

<CSIHelper: 0x145e0d50>

/ Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #8  
   / Residential Router with Remote Hard Disk Drive #9  
Curious why you'd want to use a router to backup your laptop, when the speed would be way higher if directly wired to the router. You could still have the hard drives attached to the router, but the download would be much quicker if hard wired, then unplug after completed.:confused3:
I've got a Bazillion bits/sec fiber from my ISP, but the difference in speed between wireless and hard wired is ridiculous! Wired the download speed bends the needle on the meter, wireless, still fast but nowhere near as fast.....

Curious why you'd want to use a router to backup your laptop, when the speed would be way higher if directly wired to the router. You could still have the hard drives attached to the router, but the download would be much quicker if hard wired, then unplug after completed.:confused3: I've got a Bazillion bits/sec fiber from my ISP, but the difference in speed between wireless and hard wired is ridiculous! Wired the download speed bends the needle on the meter, wireless, still fast but nowhere near as fast.....

Our router isn't easily accessible but if hard wired for a backup makes that much difference I will find a way to do it. Still would like faster access from laptop to a shared media drive though. That would preferably be wireless.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet