Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I see another thread about routers with some excellent replies. Hopefully someone has advice for what I want to do.

Recently my DSL service was upgraded to FTTN, ATT's Uverse. Unlike the Netgear routers I've used for years, I have to use ATT's all-in-one modem/router as my central router so its time to replace several old pre-WPS remote devices - print server etc - that have security software so primitive (or none) that this new Arris router won't issue them an IP.

What I have in mind is repurpose a Netgear router (actually, I have three) as a server to my Ethernet-interface Laserjet in another room, then other Netgear routers driving Ethernet-to-USB boxes for USB printers elsewhere. Presently this all works by Ethernet-over-powerline to the remote Laserjet and the USB converters but only one of the several destinations broadcasts Wifi at the destination end. Now if I put Wifi routers at those remote locations then much stronger Wifi signal will be available there.

(Simplified a little, I need similar setups at home in town and another out at the ranch. To minimize cost I want to re-purpose existing hardware).

Ideally I think the highest speeds would be attained by setting up each of these remote routers to receive signal into its ethernet port and rebroadcast that signal locally as wifi. I already have one device that does this, TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT Wi-Fi Powerline extender kit with 2 LAN ports. (Amazon link). The remote end has two Ethernet ports and a Wifi transmitter; everything works like magic using new-to-me WPS. Just press a button at each device and they create a secure link, no more logging into 192.168.xxxx to make stuff work. Instead of buying a $45 WPA4220 receiver for each destination I would like to re-purpose my old routers to do the same function.

What I'm curious about is can these existing routers be told to become a downstream repeater to the central Arris router. Turning off their DHCP is obvious but how do I get them to request a link from the Arris, and to receive their signal into the Ethernet port instead of over the air? Receiving via Wifi requires setting everything to a fixed permanent wifi channel per Netgears manuals. I don't want that. In town all channels have activity and I want to preserve the ability for that router to jump channels as needed.

Each of my Netgear routers has a configuration page to make it the host of cascaded routers but Netgear says Not Recommended to use these in a cascaded network. Anybody know why that is their advice?

Hardware available: N300 and N600 Netgear routers WNR2000v2, same v3, WNDR3400v2. Netgear W300RE Wifi repeater. All with WPS. Two 5-port 100 Mbps switches, not in use. (All the preceding are $5 thrift store finds, all work fine :) ). Two $30 TP-Link AV500 Ethernet over powerline kits. (Ethernet, not Wifi, at the destination end). The $50 WPA4220 Ethernet over powerline kit described above, is the only Powerline set with a Wifi transmitter at the destination. Some wired Ethernet devices at the destinations. And there are several Wifi clients at each destination when the whole family shows up. I want to give the kids good signal way down at the back of the guest cabin. :D

Somebody must have done this. How do I configure these destination routers to request an IP from the central router, over Powerline, then rebroadcast wifi and Ethernet? is WPS bi-directional in this case or are these routers only capable of hosting?

Baffled ...

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #2  
turn off dhcp/dns servers on all down stream routers, plug in the lan cables from the upstream router into the LAN port of the downstream routers, not the wan ports.

make sure to use proper channel spacing for the wifi

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out
Ok, the first paragraph is what I had in mind. Will the master router provide IP's to the remote routers and their attached devices, and will WPS or something else secure the whole network? I will have the central router assign static IP's to the printers so users always see them at the same place.

Proper channel spacing? Do I need to put each remote on its own fixed channel, or can each router recognize congestion and switch wifi to a cleaner channel? I'm assuming all input to the remote routers arrives by ethernet-over-powerline, so wifi outputs of the remotes would have little effect on the central router's wifi.

Thanks for moving me forward on this. I wondered if the first reply might be 'are you nuts?' :laughing:

I used to do this stuff back when you set IP's and IRQ's with jumpers on the network cards. It has been a hobby since. As always, a step forward in networking has a learning curve.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #4  
For starters, draw a schematic of what you want to do and label each device. ;)

Schematic - the signal is distributed from the master router via 3 media: Cat5e cable, Ethernet over Powerline injector/terminator devices, Wifi.

Specifics:
Master router-->Cat5e to EoP injector-->house wiring-->remote EoP terminator-->Cat5e-->Netgear router--> wifi to laptop, Cat5e to printer.

When that works add more remotes configured same. (One EoP injector at the master router will feed several EoP terminators). Configure to avoid IP conflicts. (how?)

Duplicate this system at the ranch. There, distance out to the guest cabin needs EoP because present Wifi repeater midway isn't sufficient.

Constraint: use all the thrift store junk I've had in service at various times, I know it all works in its intended application.
The EoP pairs and the 4220 (same, with wifi transmitter at remote) are new and modern.
The AT&T FTTN modem/router is new and modern, has lots of configuration options. Model ARRIS NVG599, apparently a premium model.

I could buy several $45 4220 remotes and that would work too, but instead of throwing money at the project I want to first try the hardware on hand.

Last edited:
   / Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #6  
I have Uverse running from a central 2Wire 460 modem / Access point. I bought a couple of Netgear routers at garage sales for $5.00 apiece. The Uverse 2Wire is wireless G speed and the Netwgears can do N speed. All I did was plug the Netgears (both) into the 2Wire and now have wireless N speeds every where I need it in the house, barn and shed. The barn is 500' away so I ran a 500' CAT6 cable out to a field hydrant that has a 120v plug for a water heater. I have a 'smart' TV and even that appreciates the N router speed.

Neighbors have noticed that I have the barn router's SSID set to "Michigan State Police", and the shed's set to "MSP Surveilannce Unit #4". I located the house Netgear right here next to me and run a laptop hardwired ethernet off of it.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #7  
Ok, the first paragraph is what I had in mind. Will the master router provide IP's to the remote routers and their attached devices, and will WPS or something else secure the whole network? I will have the central router assign static IP's to the printers so users always see them at the same place.

Proper channel spacing? Do I need to put each remote on its own fixed channel, or can each router recognize congestion and switch wifi to a cleaner channel? I'm assuming all input to the remote routers arrives by ethernet-over-powerline, so wifi outputs of the remotes would have little effect on the central router's wifi.

Thanks for moving me forward on this. I wondered if the first reply might be 'are you nuts?' :laughing:

I used to do this stuff back when you set IP's and IRQ's with jumpers on the network cards. It has been a hobby since. As always, a step forward in networking has a learning curve.

you will probably need to set a static ip on all the down stream routers, so that you can browse to them at a later point. wireless security is done per router/AP so you need to configure each router/ap with the wireless settings you wan to use.

you need to put each on fixed channels, generally 1,6,11 at 20mhz widths to not have overlap, most consumer routers don't handle channel jumping, or don't do well

there is potential to cause wifi issues if you overlap your channels thus follow the above advice and you will be fine, try to put all routers at extreme's from each other, for better congestion avoidance and better overall coverage

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #8  
I see another thread about routers with some excellent replies. Hopefully someone has advice for what I want to do.

Recently my DSL service was upgraded to FTTN, ATT's Uverse. Unlike the Netgear routers I've used for years, I have to use ATT's all-in-one modem/router as my central router so its time to replace several old pre-WPS remote devices - print server etc - that have security software so primitive (or none) that this new Arris router won't issue them an IP.

what about adding a wifi extender.

They have them that plug in, listen to your existing wifi, and then rebroadcast on another wifi network name. the good ones have a lan port on them. so you can literally plunk them down in range of your original wifi and have a hard wired port, then make them broadcast a new network, that may be more compatible with your older stuff.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #9  

They have them that plug in, listen to your existing wifi, and then rebroadcast on another wifi network name. the good ones have a lan port on them. so you can literally plunk them down in range of your original wifi and have a hard wired port, then make them broadcast a new network, that may be more compatible with your older stuff.

extenders should be used as a last resort, the design the OP is using is the best way to extend wireless range.

They have them that plug in, listen to your existing wifi, and then rebroadcast on another wifi network name. the good ones have a lan port on them.
I have one in service, NETGEAR N300 (WN3000RP) Amazon $42, EcoThrift $3.99 :). I had forgotten it has ethernet out as well as wifi out. I have it in the back window of the house providing signal to the barn (works fine) and to the cabin but guests say it isn't a full speed signal there. The cabin is the one destination I think is critical to reach via Ethernet-over-Powerline because of its greater range.

zzvyb6 and Bill thanks for the encouragement. It looks like its worthwhile to proceed based on your experiences.

I like the router name suggestions. I named my first home router 'Me', the 4220 repeater there is presently 'Me Two'.