Dentures anyone?

/ Dentures anyone? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Thought I would start a thread about choppers or lack of, lol! First off, bad teeth run in my family, brushing, flossing, pro cleaning regardless. The major reconstructions I had done in 1973 and 1995/96 have been going bad. Last fall, one of my front teeth absessed. Both front teeth were part of a six tooth bridge (two intact, two missing, two intact). The other front tooth previously had a root canal and had basically turned to punk. So, I lost both front teeth.

Long story short, the seventeen teeth I have left just won't long term support more bridges/partials so I elected to get them all out. Like many people here in KY, I go to the UK School of Dentistry in Lexington, KY to let students work on me. (Reduced cost care, excellant care really)

Anyway, after plenty of discussion with the student working on me and the resident doctors, I am going to have two implants in my lower jaw to stabilize the lower plate. I have heard pro and con from others but no first hand experiances. Anyone have any input on the implants?

/ Dentures anyone? #2  
They pulled all my uppers and I have an appliance up there.
They did a great fit and I don't even realize I have it in place.
For lower jaw I still have 7 good teeth with a partial that is mainly molars.

The fitting is so good that I eat whatever I want and can even enjoy corn on the cob.
Further more I do not use any adhesives either.
They totally dissuaded me from any implants or pins.
Believe it or not I am so accustomed to my appliances that I feel cold as the nerves seem to read thru the upper appliance.

They had to pull my 7 remaining uppers all in one sitting and I never even needed an aspirin for pain.
My upper was done in 2 stages with a 'temporary' that they placed the same day as they did the pulling.

I was lucky as my wife's insurance covered most of my upper appliance.
The balance was traded for some renovations in his home.

/ Dentures anyone? #3  
From the title I thought you were selling.... ;)

I have one false tooth on a titanium rod implanted in my jaw. The rest are mine, although three are crowned. I've never had a lick (pardon the pun) of problems with the implant. I've had the crowns pull off on sticky foods several times.

Anyhow, my implant probably doesn't apply to your situation as there are no dentures being anchored to it. Good luck with your new smile! :D

/ Dentures anyone? #4  
Just started the procedure yesterday by getting the impressions made. No implants. Had only 11 teeth remaining and broke two of them last week. All will be pulled and the plates installed in 2 1/2 weeks.

Noinsurance. I have a better than platinum plan through the AF but it doesn't cover dental. Total cost will be $2,000 but that is no a problem for me.

Harry K

/ Dentures anyone? #5  
Thought I would start a thread about choppers or lack of, lol! First off, bad teeth run in my family, brushing, flossing, pro cleaning regardless. The major reconstructions I had done in 1973 and 1995/96 have been going bad. Last fall, one of my front teeth absessed. Both front teeth were part of a six tooth bridge (two intact, two missing, two intact). The other front tooth previously had a root canal and had basically turned to punk. So, I lost both front teeth.

Long story short, the seventeen teeth I have left just won't long term support more bridges/partials so I elected to get them all out. Like many people here in KY, I go to the UK School of Dentistry in Lexington, KY to let students work on me. (Reduced cost care, excellant care really)

Anyway, after plenty of discussion with the student working on me and the resident doctors, I am going to have two implants in my lower jaw to stabilize the lower plate. I have heard pro and con from others but no first hand experiances. Anyone have any input on the implants?

There is a huge difference between a full denture that just rests on the gums versus one that is supported by implants. The implant supported denture will not flop all over the place thereby giving you better chewing abilities, less chances of sore spots on the gums, and greatly superior confidence when talking.The only negative is expense. But, if the treatment estimate is within your budget, you should definitely pursue the implant supported denture. It will be very important for you to keep the implants really clean since poor oral hygiene can cause implants to fail. (If you haven't already guessed, I am a dentist.)

/ Dentures anyone? #6  
I still have most of my original teeth... in a cigar box on a shelf in the garage!

mark

/ Dentures anyone? #7  
I just have one implant, had it done 6 years ago. They are a little on the expensive side, but you will never regret doing it. 100% trouble free since day one.

/ Dentures anyone? #8  
There is a huge difference between a full denture that just rests on the gums versus one that is supported by implants. The implant supported denture will not flop all over the place thereby giving you better chewing abilities, less chances of sore spots on the gums, and greatly superior confidence when talking.The only negative is expense. But, if the treatment estimate is within your budget, you should definitely pursue the implant supported denture. It will be very important for you to keep the implants really clean since poor oral hygiene can cause implants to fail. (If you haven't already guessed, I am a dentist.)

That is the reason I went with the 'no implant'. I am very poor at dental hygience - mostly the reason I only have 9 teeth left :)

Harry K

/ Dentures anyone? #9  

That is the reason I went with the 'no implant'. I am very poor at dental hygience - mostly the reason I only have 9 teeth left :)

Harry K

/ Dentures anyone? #10  
I'm curious as to what ever happened to the story about using a laser for dental treatment? I remember an article years ago where a laser was touted that it would be the next "drill" for dentistry. Seemed like a big thing at the time but just sort of fizzled out? I've still got all my teeth at 60 (couple of crowns though). Floss every day and brush three times a day. When I go for annual cleanings twice a year, I usually wonder about what people did a hundred years ago or more. One of the neatest things that my dentist has is a machine that makes a crown while I'm just sitting there. Sticks this little do-dad in the mouth and takes a bunch of different angle pictures and somehow this contraption sends the info to his lab in the back. About an hour or so later he steps back there and magically appears with a crown that fits almost perfect. He usually has to adjust it slightly. Some kind of machine cuts it out. Truly a great time to be living with medical marvels and treatments.