Steak cooking methods

/ Steak cooking methods #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
My wife tells me I have become quite the "expert" at cooking a medium rare steak on our propane bbq pit. It is our Sunday dinner tradition-NY Strip Steak on the grill. I am looking to change it up a bit, seeing if I can make it even better. May go the cast iron skillet on the stove route. How do you guys do it? Would love to hear some new ideas.

/ Steak cooking methods #2  
Cast iron on the stove.

mark

/ Steak cooking methods #5  
I have never tried it but I have heard of a method where you seal the steak in a plastic bag or vacuum seal it and place it in a container of hot water.

/ Steak cooking methods #6  
I have yet to find any method of cooking a steak on a skillet that is better than on a grill.

Only reason I do it is because steak on the skillet is still better than no steak at all when the winter months limit grilling.

But that said, I dont like propane for grilling either. Charcoal only for me. And I dont cook direct over the charcoal either. Indirect heat, with a little cherry wood or apple wood on the charcoal and all the vents closed down to give a nice smoked flavor to the steak. Cherry and apple are the best two I have found.

Once done, I'll raise the charcoal and get the grates nice and hot, and sear the steaks to give nice grill lines. I cook to medium. Nice pink but blood free.

But regardless of cooking style, quality of the meat matters more than anything. A crappy steak cooked the way I describe is still a crappy steak. And a good steak can be ruined as well with improper cooking. So make sure you start with a good cut. My favorite is probably ribeye, with porterhouse/t-bone a close second

/ Steak cooking methods #7  
I let my wood stove burn down to coals, then put the seasoned steak in a basket that has a handle and hold it over the coals!

I just keep turning the basket and let the steak baste itself...

SR

/ Steak cooking methods #8  
Frying Pan on the stove. It is quick and easy and I don't play with my food.:) It's just "eating"... and not a "dining experience".

/ Steak cooking methods #10  
I still prefer a mesquite grilled steak over any other method. But I also like one cooked in a cast iron skillet from time to time.

With the skillet method, I rub the steak with salt, pepper and olive oil and let it rest for a bit.

In the meantime, melt a couple of table spoons of butter with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic and get it fragrant. Throw your steak in the pan and cook approx. 3 minutes a side, spooning the butter/rosemary/garlic/thyme mixture over the steak to baste it as it cooks. Pull the steak out of the pan and let it rest 5 minutes before cutting and devouring.