DVR for broadcast TV

/ DVR for broadcast TV #1  

kc5dlo

Gold Member
At my country place I don't have cable TV or internet. I am wanting to get a DVR to be able to record some TV for use when nothing else interesting is on. I have seen some OTA (over the air) DVR's advertised but it seems they require an internet connection or a subscription to a program guide. I can look up program listings at work and make a note of time and channel to record later if needed. My current TV has a guide built in that goes about 24 hours ahead. I just don't see the benefit of paying for a program guide. I also suspect that subscription would need the internet. I have heard of DIY systems that use a computer and a TV tuner to record shows. That might be the way to go if a commercial unit is not available.

I can appreciate the capabilities of todays DVR's with the ability to record several shows at the same time, to pause and rewind live TV, but something that operates like the old VCR's would work for me I think.

Any ideas or experience?

Thanks,
Steve

/ DVR for broadcast TV
Looks like the Channel Master dvr+ Might just do the trick for me. As I understand it, The internet connection will provide 14 days of channel programs and up to 2 days with out. Internet connection also provides services like Netflix. Also I will provide my own external hard drive for storage.

/ DVR for broadcast TV #3  
My uncle has / loves the channel master DVR. Not the cheapest, but functional and reliable.
Post back how you like it.

/ DVR for broadcast TV #4  
If you go with a "TV Tuner" card for a PC...get one with HDMI output and 5.1 surround sound...

Most come with all the software to set up a DVR system...just add an additional hard drive...

/ DVR for broadcast TV #5  
CM dvr+ works great. Had the previous version that was not as good. Used to have to pay for listings, now you don't. We use it nightly. Add your own drive, i use an old laptop drive i had upgraded.

/ DVR for broadcast TV #7  
And the cm dvr+ is less than an inch high. Tiny box.