Animal repellents. Do they work ?

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Hi all.
Can carefully placed animal repellents be a viable plan to protect homes, gardens, barns etc. I have heard moth balls,
pepper oil and pepper, capsaicin and oil and other things that might send the animals away. I have tried a thing
called "snake be gone" or something close. Last couple years I haven't seen any. But just might be coincidence.

I am planting a garden AGAIN this year. I plant one tomato plant for me and two for the critters. So a 100 plants
gets me 33 plants for me. This year I want to get rid of the animals by discourage them from my place. Don't need
to kill them, just send them to woods for dinner.

I am looking for a list of things that can repel the animals. But, i really don't want to pay $20 a bottle for 2 pound
of powder of which less than 1/2 % is the repellent. I am guessing there must be a way to control animals
less expensively .

Interestingly I searched net and I was inundated with all the commercial concoctions from big box stores etc.

Cheers.....Coffeeman

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #2  
Sorry I can't help you with a solution.

My experience was that I bought a bag of animal repellant. Supposed to repel everything. I sprinkled it around in an outdoor toilet at our farm campground. Left the bag closed sitting on a shelf. Mice chewed a hole in the bag and built a nest using the repellent..........

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #3  
The best one that worked for me was Tiger poo. put a little around the garden and nothing would want to eat up my garden.

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #4  
12 gauge shotgun loaded with rock salt worked for me. 1 good load of rock salt and they wont come back.

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #5  
Drink lots of beer and piddle everywhere. Works! (human urine scent does the trick)

My wife swears by sachets of Lifeboy soap among the flowers. Have done this for last 3 years and no more deer eating the hostas.
Others also report similar results.

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #6  
Drink lots of beer and piddle everywhere. Works! (human urine scent does the trick)

My wife swears by sachets of Lifeboy soap among the flowers. Have done this for last 3 years and no more deer eating the hostas.
Others also report similar results.

Lifeboy is much easier to get than Tiger poo. I'll try that. Thanks.

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #7  
I think many things will work when they are first put out. Eventually the animal learns that it is not a threat and they ignore it.

Best is a fence too high to jump, and an electric wire on top for the climbers.

Then the birds will get it all. :(

Bruce

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ?
I think many things will work when they are first put out. Eventually the animal learns that it is not a threat and they ignore it.

Best is a fence too high to jump, and an electric wire on top for the climbers.

Then the birds will get it all. :(

Bruce

I had a black car one time. 4 crows that had a route stop every day at my place they used that car as resting stop. They landed on
that car most every time they came. Some days they missed car stop, they were probably behind schedule. Also had a dark blue car about same size.
Crows never touched it. I bought an Owl, plastic. Didn't work. So I go to the Tractor Supply. I ask for "something for crows?" Gal takes me to bird
food.. I said, "no I want poison to kill them." If looks could kill, I wouldn't be here. A few choice words and she left. So I left the store.

Crows love affair with my car caused scratches. So I parked car in garage for couple months. Later they never bothered it again.

A mystery to me.....Coffeeman

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #9  
12 gauge shotgun loaded with rock salt worked for me. 1 good load of rock salt and they wont come back.
Bad idea. It causes severe rust in the barrel.

/ Animal repellents. Do they work ? #10  
I planted a rose bush two weeks ago and the deer are it four days later. Came back and pulled it out of the ground. I planted another one in same hole today and tried a formula I found on YouTube. One quart water with an egg yoke and on tablespoon of baking soda. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on every two weeks or after a rain. Supposed to repel deer after they take one bite.

We will see.

I will post results, when I have some.

Also put game cam up to make sure it was deer.

RSKY