72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I'm getting real close to HAVING to buy a rolling tool box. As I posted over in the HF tools dont suck thread:

That picture has about put me over the edge for buying a bunch next time they go on sale.

BUT I've four "workshops"
465241d1460996915-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-outside-shops-jpg

I've managed to line most of the interior walls with pallet racking
465239d1460996656-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-8x6sam_0727-jpg

465240d1460996656-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-8x6sam_0773-jpg

And I've got about 100 linear feet of what I use for "project surfaces", all have 3/4 PT plywood topped by 3/4 Masonite, and as in the pics the project surface level is about waist high. Clearance under the beams is 31.75 inches for about half of them, and 36" for the rest of them.

This is where the BUT comes in, reading the HF web site the height of the 44" (and up) wide cabinets is 40 inches plus. Not enough clearance :(

I would really like to be able to put a bunch in and still have the capability to roll them in and out from under the project surfaces. All the shops have nice concrete floors :)

However I've got one of the old HF 2 piece 27" wide combos on casters and the base unit on that is only about 28 inches high.

So my question is - does anyone know of similar rolling cabinets that are fairly wide but not higher than 36"? Northern Tool sells a 41" wide that's 38.75 inches high, close but not low enough.

I'd prefer NOT to buy a bunch of 2 piece unit just so I could slide the lower piece under.

Well Costco just put their TRINITY 72" Stainless Steel Workbench on sale and I noticed it's listed as 37"H (including casters).

Got me thinking I could put the pallet racking feet (that has the first shelf with 36" clearance) up on 1.5 inch risers and get my clearance.

Does anyone have these Costco units and if so what is their "durability"?

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #2  
I guess I don't understand why you don't adjust the beams up enough for the harbor freight ones to slide under? It would seem to take about 5 minutes. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight
I guess I don't understand why you don't adjust the beams up enough for the harbor freight ones to slide under? It would seem to take about 5 minutes. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?
The Harbor freight will require me to raise my workbench height about 4 inches.
Right now I've all this beautiful "project surface" at a comfortable working height.

For example, right now I've got the following "projects" ongoing:
Chainsaw tuneup and repair - Using one 4x8 area
Fiddling with a 10HP motor for a rotary phase converter - a 4x8 area
Working on some beehives - another 4x8 area
Sorting out "stuff" for working on my trailer, 4x8 area
Working on repairing a lawnmower - 4x8
and a couple of more 4x8 areas "clear" for unanticipated projects.
I've become very fond of being able to spread a project out, work on it until finished, or if not needed immediately let it lay for a bit. If I can just slide the tool cabinet under the pallet rack at 1.5 inches higher I can still do that. If I have to raise the rack 4 or 5 inches it goes from comfortable working height to not comfortable working height.

And since I have not bought any cabinets yet I was wondering what the TBN'ers who had the Costco unit thought of their quality long term.

And I'm trying to keep a lot of the shelves at the same level so I can slide the cabinets under any shelve versus just one or two.

/edit and I realize part of my problem is my LOVE for having all this layout/project work space instead of just a tablesaw in a 15x15 space in my basement.

Last edited:
   / 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #4  
I have seen some guys somewhere on line that used their toolboxes as mounts for small mills and lathes and they made a low slung bracket that the box sat on and the wheels were beside the box and the bottom of the box was just maybe 1 1/2 in off the floor. Can't remember where I saw them. They used a big piece of angle on the ends for the rollers to mount on. Ed

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #5  
Okay I understand now.

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #6  
I have seen some guys somewhere on line that used their toolboxes as mounts for small mills and lathes and they made a low slung bracket that the box sat on and the wheels were beside the box and the bottom of the box was just maybe 1 1/2 in off the floor. Can't remember where I saw them. They used a big piece of angle on the ends for the rollers to mount on. Ed

That sounds similar to the shop fox mobile stands that Grizzly sells.
Heavy-Duty Mobile Base | Grizzly Industrial

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #8  
Newbury, I have a similar issue. I want to mount my HF 13" bench top drill press on a tool cabinet but, needed to be 30-32" high for comfortable work height. Found this Craftsman that is 32" to top of work surface with a 1/2" lip around sides and rear or total height of 32".

Sears.com

I already have one of these, with matching top tool box, that I keep all my air tools in. Good ball bearing drawer slides. Comes in black or red.

FWIW, I am buying 2 of the HF 44" tool cabinets and 2 of their 18" side cabinets. They will line up side by side with a 10' pre-built Formica counter top on top of the lineup.

/ 72 inch rolling tool boxes Costco versus Harbor Freight #9  
I have one. It's black, about 60" tall and about 36 wide.
It was the only model they had and it was priced well, so I bought it. They may be of better quality now or in your area....and this one was not high end,but I did get it at Costco.....it still works fine but....
It has not performed well and I would examine a Costco tool box very carefully before purchasing another
The spot welds in the locking mechanism were broken after a few months. The gas lifts failed and are impossible to locate.