Status
Not open for further replies.
   / My "why I carry a firearm " rant #1  

outinthetalgrass

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Why I choose to carry a firearm.

I know lots of people will tell me the odds are better at winning the Powerball, than actually needing the gun that I carry and that I am crazy. This is probably true, but on the other hand, those same people will face the same long odds, and think nothing about keeping a spare tire in the trunk of their car, having homeowners insurance on their house, having a fire extinguisher in their home, keeping their smoke alarms working, or keeping a backup generator around "just in case".
Don't get me wrong, I AM one of those people too. I believe in being prepared for "whatever" might happen no matter how big the odds are.
I play the lottery, I have a spare tire, I keep a couple of working fire extinguishers around, I have homeowners and auto insurance, I have smoke and Co2 detectors, I keep a couple of flashlights around, I have a backup generator and I even carry a set of jumper cables in the truck. The chances of needing any of these on any given day are very slim. The consequences of needing it and not having it can be extremely high. I also train regularly with a firearm, have been checked, rechecked and licensed by the state, and I carry it whenever and wherever I am allowed.
I hope and pray I never have to use it in defense of my life or home, but it is there should the need arise just like all the other "just in case" items we all keep around.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #3  
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #4  
"I also train regularly with a firearm, have been checked, rechecked and licensed by the state" <<<<<<<<<<<<Great, now if we could get some school teachers to do this instead of standing at the door saying you cant come in here, schools would be more secure, but training is paramount.

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #5  
"I also train regularly with a firearm, have been checked, rechecked and licensed by the state" <<<<<<<<<<<<Great, now if we could get some school teachers to do this instead of standing at the door saying you cant come in here, schools would be more secure, but training is paramount.

Agreed, and the door also needs to to lockable from the inside and "hardened".

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #6  
Why I choose to carry a firearm.

I know lots of people will tell me the odds are better at winning the Powerball, than actually needing the gun that I carry and that I am crazy. This is probably true, but on the other hand, those same people will face the same long odds, and think nothing about keeping a spare tire in the trunk of their car, having homeowners insurance on their house, having a fire extinguisher in their home, keeping their smoke alarms working, or keeping a backup generator around "just in case".
Don't get me wrong, I AM one of those people too. I believe in being prepared for "whatever" might happen no matter how big the odds are.
I play the lottery, I have a spare tire, I keep a couple of working fire extinguishers around, I have homeowners and auto insurance, I have smoke and Co2 detectors, I keep a couple of flashlights around, I have a backup generator and I even carry a set of jumper cables in the truck. The chances of needing any of these on any given day are very slim. The consequences of needing it and not having it can be extremely high. I also train regularly with a firearm, have been checked, rechecked and licensed by the state, and I carry it whenever and wherever I am allowed.
I hope and pray I never have to use it in defense of my life or home, but it is there should the need arise just like all the other "just in case" items we all keep around.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

You must be one of those crazy people who believe in taking responsibility for your life and not letting yourself become a victim of natural or man made situations! Same reason I carry whenever I can. Gives me options in case something bad happens to me, or so someone around me. I work at a large company with a no weapons policy. If something bad happens, they want us to dial 911 and hide and wait for the police to arrive. Last year I had to dial 911 for an employee having a stroke, and it took 16 minutes for the ambulance and police to arrive. If it had been a shooter, a lot of people would be dead in 16 minutes knowing that we are all sitting ducks!

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #7  
Never thought I would have to use mine. Not all threats come on two legs. Neighbor attacked by pit bulls Its been almost three
years since this happened but I remember it like it was yesterday. Neighbor has recovered but still suffers from the incident.

Last edited:
   / My "why I carry a firearm " rant #8  
Never thought I would have to use mine. Not all threats come on two legs. Neighbor attacked by pit bulls Its been almost two years since this happened but I remember it like it was yesterday. Neighbor has recovered but still suffers from the incident.

Good point, never know when you could run into a raccoon/animal with rabies.

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #9  
What odds are people willing to accept for wife murdered and daughter raped?

I tell people you have insurance on your house for fire.

/ My "why I carry a firearm " rant #10  
I carried at work everyday for nearly 20 years and no one knew. If they found out, it might have been a sticky situation, but it was worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.