New man off metoprolol

/ New man off metoprolol #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I FEEL GREAT!

Got my heart doctor to take me off metoprolol. Feel great for first time in 3 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosed with afib and put on it.

From the start, the **** stuff made me weaker and fatigued. My wife noticed the difference right away when put on carvedilol (at MUCH lower dose) a week ago Friday night. I'm back getting up at 4 o'clockish like I did for 31 years while working, after going to bed @ 10.

What got me to ask to be off it was the worsening numbness in my feet. It got to where I was having back firing of nerve, commonly called "diabetic nerve pain". I was using capsaicin cream to combat that after the nerve doctor wanted to put me on gabbapentil (no siree after reading side effects for that).

Now, I can actually close my eyes while standing and not start to fall. Feeling is back in my feet and getting better every day.

I've had mucho troubles with meds. No lisinipril, makes me cough. No Lasix, makes my abdomen bloat. And a bunch of others.

I think the metoprolol actually made my afib worse. I went from only getting afib after caffeinated coffee to having it most of the time. I just thought the afib had progressed and made me feel worse. None. Think it was the metroprolol.

You're supposed to cause no harm, docs. It's the oath you take.

Ralph

/ New man off metoprolol #2  
Just read a report that states doctors are the THIRD leading cause of death in the US and then says the numbers are really higher than what is stated. That was not counting people like you that were worse because of the doctors treatment. Ed

/ New man off metoprolol #3  
I also just came off metoprolol and am much better. I went back to Lisinopril ( I do cough ) and my energy level has gone up dramatically.

/ New man off metoprolol #4  
My Mom was complaining about her heart medications. She weened herself because she was having significant joint pain (on top of existing artheritis). She feels much better without and quality of life is much better than the tiny risk. Often enough medicines are prescribed that do more harm with side affects than the original condition. I saw a doctor look up side affects for a medicine my Dad was taking. Excruciating leg cramps. That effect was not listed. Pains went away when the medicine went away. Good that you found a cure for what ails you!

/ New man off metoprolol
Fatigue and weakness started 3 1/2 years ago when the doctor put me on 12.5 mg twice/day. Over time, they got me up to 37.5 mg twice/day (Toprol XL, a succinate). The numbness in the legs seemed to start above 25 mg.

What keyed me in that metoprolol was causing the leg numbness was my wife got Reynaud's syndrome on timolol eye drops. It went away when she stopped the drops. She actually searched online and found the neuropathy to be a side effect of metoprolol.

I should have complained about the fatigue and weakness from the beginning, but I just thought that I'd suddenly gotten very sick. I went from only having afib when drinking caffeinated coffee to afib most of the time. The **** stuff probably weakened my heart, and the body responded by giving extra signals to beat more.

Why don't the doctors sit down and go over any possible side effects with you after your being on the stuff for a little while. Instead, you have to complain, and complain loudly for them to do something. It was almost literally like moving mountains for me to get off Lasix. I kept telling them that it hurt, and I hated to take it. One nurse actually told me there was nothing else. I finally just quit and went to the ER. The ER doctor there put me on Bumex, a MUCH better med than Lasix.

Ralph

/ New man off metoprolol #7  
I just feel very tired most of the time, and I've suspected some of the many medications the doctors have me on since the bypass surgery in February. I've been taking a 50mg tablet of Metoprolol twice a day. Thursday, the cardiologist changed it to 25mg twice a day, and I strongly suspect that's still too much.

/ New man off metoprolol #8  
Humm, i take it. I have wondered about it. Since i started taking meds for afib, i seem to get them more.

/ New man off metoprolol #9  
I also just came off metoprolol and am much better. I went back to Lisinopril ( I do cough ) and my energy level has gone up dramatically.

I take lisinopril and did not know that is what is causing my coughing. Learned something new this week for sure. Anyone know why it causes the coughing fit?

/ New man off metoprolol #10  
I am not sure why Lisinopril causes coughing but it sure did for me. I switched to Metroprolol but only 12.5 mg twice a day. I'm not having the side effects you guys are talking about.