My First Visit from the Trash Inspector.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #21  
The costs to business is astronomical.
I like the new attempts to recycle better/smarter but...................

If you just walk by a hospital now it will cost you $1000.
After all this is implemented and passed down to the consumer it will cost $2000 to walk by a hospital.

Now if you actually walk in or get carried in the cost are much higher.

All of the business world is getting hit by this as well. Education will go a long way to helping out recycling but the idea that we have to have garbage policing is a bit much.

In addition, it drives me nuts at times that they won't recycle certain things but other municipalities/companies recycle those same items.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector.
I've only been in the Hospital side of things 25 years... the changes, meaning the multiple levels of requirements and mandates boggle the mind.

New jobs have been created because they are mandated... Compliance Officer whose full time duty is keeping on top of Medical Records...

Many agencies have multiple overlapping authority and often are not in agreement.

The County Waste Management Authority is not Medical specific...

One of the old timers told me years ago each layer of regulation is job security... looking at it from the prospective of running my own business for 10 years I can see as how that might be... on the other hand... it just piles on the costs...

As for nighttime dumping it happens all over the big cities... at least here... two new piles on the way to work this morning.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #23  
I knew it was just a question of time before the trash inspector would be making a visit.

The city where I work has instituted a source waste management ordinance with teeth as in the power to cite and fine.

Currently work spends 15k annually for a 6 yard dumpster twice a week and another 3k for a recycling dumpster once per week.

Today I learned that I have a lot of work to do...

The biggest change concerns used paper products... like used restroom paper towels, paper plates, cups, left over food and the occasional bag of leaves and branches... all these items must be directed to a new dumpster for organic recycling which starts at $100 per week...

Since this is a hospital I question the logic of recycling used restroom paper napkins... but rules are rules.

I will also loose my ace in the hole to dispose of midnight dumper trash... which happens in the early AM... never know what I might find... appliances, construction Debitors from lath and plaster to concrete.

The biggest change will be having to have multiple containers side by side for inside for trash...

Example... in the lobby restroom I will need to have a Organic Recyclable for used paper towels.

I will also need to have next to it a Trash receptacle should the used paper towel have blood as in someone has a bloody nose...

Everything about modern infection control is about minimizing contact and efficient disposal... I see no way to police what the public tosses into the building containers... it is hard enough to police staff in the break and lunch rooms!

I will certainly give it my best... add in-house garbage police to my list of titles...

Sounds like gubberment run amok. Did NAZI German regime teach you folks nothing?

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #24  
Garbage cop:laughing: Gotta love California.... I have never understood why people live there.:confused3:

They have clearly gone totally nuts out here. They don't call it the land of fruits and nuts for nuttin. Moonbeam is on his fourth term so that alone should tell you something.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #25  
It is big business since garbage service is compulsory just about everywhere here and unpaid bills result in a city lien against the serviced property...

I often wondered how a private for profit company is guaranteed 100% on accounts receivable with the city doing the legal work and filing the liens... it is much easier for government entities to lien than non-government.

I will need to readjust my attitude from I'm paying $1250 a month for biweekly dumpster service so I'm going to make sure it goes out full and getting full value.

For those of you too young to remember, back in the early 1970s when there was enormous pressure to eliminate the mafia and to curtail their various illegal activities, many of the mafia leaders decided to go "straight" as long as they could find a legal business to go into that would pay as much as their illegal activities. They discovered that nursing homes and trash collection, with the right political clout, would earn them mountains of cash and many went into these fields.

In Louisiana, our own "accused" mafia leader, Carlos Marcello, bought up thousands of acres of swampland to use for a landfill (dump) and formed Jefferson Disposal Co. to collect the trash in the Parish. All of a sudden our water bills had an extra charge on them for trash collection. :rolleyes: At the same time his Beverley Playhouse just happened to burn down and he built a nursing home on that property.

Many of these businesses are still owned by relatives or cohorts of the original owners and have turned into gigantic corporations who have learned how to "legally" maximize their profits at the expense of the general public.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #29  
Back when I was a Shop Steward with the Teamsters in Oakland CA, Local 70, I would hang out with some of the guys who worked for the garbage company. At that time, they had to load the different recyclables into different compartments of their trucks, but when they got back to the yard, it was all dumped into the same pile and hauled off to the landfill. In every study that was done, it was too expensive to actually recycle what was picked up on residential routes and ship it to where it could be recycled. There was no time or manpower to sort through what they picked up. Remember, only certain types of paper, plastic and glass is even recyclable.

It's been almost 15 years since I lived there, so maybe it's changed, but for more then a decade, I know for a fact that it was just a feel good program mandated by government and forced on everyone living there.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #30  
Back when I was a Shop Steward with the Teamsters in Oakland CA, Local 70, I would hang out with some of the guys who worked for the garbage company. At that time, they had to load the different recyclables into different compartments of their trucks, but when they got back to the yard, it was all dumped into the same pile and hauled off to the landfill. In every study that was done, it was too expensive to actually recycle what was picked up on residential routes and ship it to where it could be recycled. There was no time or manpower to sort through what they picked up. Remember, only certain types of paper, plastic and glass is even recyclable.

It's been almost 15 years since I lived there, so maybe it's changed, but for more then a decade, I know for a fact that it was just a feel good program mandated by government and forced on everyone living there.

That reminds me of the time I followed a truck load of "recycled" phone books that the school kids had collected. The truck turned into the landfill.