any ShopSmith owners?? Need help

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
My dad is giving me his ShopSmith that he bought in the early 1980's - It must be a Mark V - but im not sure exactly

My issues is that its in his basement and i have to make two 90* turns then up a set of stairs to get it out. Then I have to get it up a set of stairs at my house.

its so bulky I think it would be a lot easier to either of the following to break it down into smaller pieces. Im looking for advice to see if either/both are possible

A) The unit tilts up to turn into a vertical drill press - Does anyone know IF / HOW the main pivot pin is removed? That would leave the motor attached to the upper two slide rails for easier carrying.

B) The upper two rails have an end cap (opposite end from where it pivots in A) - that would allow you to remove the motor from the two rails. It appears that it has either 2 roll pins OR 2 hex nuts holding that in cap in place. Anyone know IF that end cap can be removed?

thanks for any help suggestions

Brian

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help #2  
Brian,

I owned one about 25 years ago and my memory says you can easily break it down into its components for easier transport and reassemble it later. I say this because the one I received was manufactured in the later 1940's and had literally shook itself apart while running in drillpress configuration untended. (stirring paint!) The owner gave it to me and I went to a shopsmith store to look at them, went home and boxed it all up. Didn't fool with it until I moved a few years later, cleaned it all up, repainted it and it all went together came out looking new. I cannot remember in detail enough to answer your questions but I'm certain you can easily break it down.

Good luck,

Clay

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help #3  
look for a shopsmirh manual. surely they shipped them unassembled and had to be put together by new owner.

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help
Thanks.. My dad thinks he has the manuals someplace.. I did email SM, so Ill also see what they say..

Dad thinks it came in pretty much assembled, but he wasnt sure. - maybe i could just take the 'legs' off it to make it easier to maneuver around.. the motor is definitely the heaviest part..

thanks

Brian

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help #5  
there is a SS chat list someone will know how to move one

Greg

/ any ShopSmith owners?? Need help
Thanks - I heard back from SS and they did not recommend either of my thoughts.. they said it could be done, but getting it all back together would be difficult. AND if they tell me its difficult im going to believe them.. LOL

it does look like the only/best way is to just remove the legs.. that way i could but the motor on a hand cart for easier handling.

thanks

brian