I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Tess, our 13 year old Golden Retriever is on the decline. She had a senior dog check up with full blood panel about 6 months ago and was in good shape then according to the vet. But, in the last 3 months she has lost 8 lbs, about 10% of her weight and her rear legs have become very weak. We have hard wood floors and she is having trouble walking on them. We put throw rugs just about every where she walks, but that was not enough. I bought infant socks and put silicone on them to provide better grip. I hold them on with velcro bands. In the morning when I tell her it's time to "bootie up" she lays down on her side and extends her legs so that I can put the booties on. She knows that they help her walk.

My wife has taken to boiling chicken and salmon to add to her food because she has just about stopped eating. About a cup a day now, some days not at all.

I'm hoping that she can make another 6 months, but when the time comes, and I will know when, she won't suffer.

l3axZgUl.jpg

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #2  
It's a sad situation. We are at the same stage with our Border Collie. I expect she has about a month left.

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #3  
You are giving her what we all hope for in the end. Someone to love us and care for us and give us dignity. She is blessed to have you and you wife to do that for her. I know it is hard but you are doing well for her. Ed

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #4  
You never know the right time. Some seem to do it at the drop of a hat, and pick up a new pet on the way home. I go a long way for my pets, both money and a lot of work, and yet, I still feel that I failed them. It's not right walking into a Vet with a living (loved one) and out with a card board box.

Next, may be my 80 year old mother in failing health. I still have both my parents. We all dread that day well in advance, and then one day (as with our pets) it is in the past already.

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #5  
She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful sugar face. 13 years is a very good life for a golden.....I currently have a 2 and 3 year old brother sister golden pair rampaging through the bedroom as I am writing. Everyone has their favorite dog breeds but there is something special about goldens. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make her feel comfortable.

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #6  
Having had to have our beloved 5 year old Corgi "put down" due to encephalitis only a month ago I feel your pain.

Things will recover.

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #7  
THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Attachments

• RB_Poem_Gate.jpg
    RB_Poem_Gate.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 118
   / I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon
Tess has been the most unusual dog that we have owned. She has always had a mind of her own and generally does what she wants to do. When she was a young dog, we tried to teach her to heel and it was a total failure. It just wasn't something SHE wanted to do. We even hired a professional trainer and the trainer was not able to get her to heel either.

She may be a retreiver, but she would never chase a ball or stick. That was below her station as emperess of the house hold.

She never was very good at come if it didn't suit her needs at the time.

But on the other side, she never chewed on a single thing in 13 years that she shouldn't have. She never soiled the house and seemed to understand from a very early age that that was not appropriate. My wife has numerous stuffed toys scattered around the house and she would never touch one unless she was handed the item by one of us and she will not touch any food, even her favorite things left at nose level unless we give it to her. She will not take any kind of treat from a stranger including her vet.

Food has never been a big thing for her. I fill her bowl when my wife is making dinner, but she will not go and eat until we finish eating. She will leisurely saunter over and politely eat a little and then go back later for a little more.

She normally sleeps in our bedroom, but if we have guests, she goes back to their bedroom and hour or 2 before bedtime to make sure she gets to sleep with them. I laughingly tell my guests that we have trained her to watch them so they don't steal anything!

Yes, she's a dog of a different color!

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #9  
Tess has been the most unusual dog that we have owned. She has always had a mind of her own and generally does what she wants to do. When she was a young dog, we tried to teach her to heel and it was a total failure. It just wasn't something SHE wanted to do. We even hired a professional trainer and the trainer was not able to get her to heel either.

She may be a retreiver, but she would never chase a ball or stick. That was below her station as emperess of the house hold.

She never was very good at come if it didn't suit her needs at the time.

But on the other side, she never chewed on a single thing in 13 years that she shouldn't have. She never soiled the house and seemed to understand from a very early age that that was not appropriate. My wife has numerous stuffed toys scattered around the house and she would never touch one unless she was handed the item by one of us and she will not touch any food, even her favorite things left at nose level unless we give it to her. She will not take any kind of treat from a stranger including her vet.

Food has never been a big thing for her. I fill her bowl when my wife is making dinner, but she will not go and eat until we finish eating. She will leisurely saunter over and politely eat a little and then go back later for a little more.

She normally sleeps in our bedroom, but if we have guests, she goes back to their bedroom and hour or 2 before bedtime to make sure she gets to sleep with them. I laughingly tell my guests that we have trained her to watch them so they don't steal anything!

Yes, she's a dog of a different color!

You have been blessed. Ed

/ I think a friend of mine will be leaving soon #10  
She sounds like a great friend, and I hope you can keep her comfortable for a little longer.

We've done the same for two of ours, with the carpet runners everywhere, even a ramp so they wouldn't have to climb the 3 deck steps every time they went out. We would also gate off our stairs so they wouldn't tumble trying to follow us to bed, and put dogbeds everywhere when they couldn't make it onto the couch. I hope you at least don't have a contest of will trying to keep her taking pain medication, when they won't eat it can be tough. Take care...