Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines...

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines...
I suppose if I was an invalid, I could make do with a 1/2 ac. I just can't see me living like that now. I have too many tools and machines that I'm not willing to give up just yet although I'm not married either. :) After moving to the country from housing where you could reach out and practically touch the next house, I've grown accustomed to the free space and quiet. Not to mention being able to do anything I want on the property (no restrictions/ordinances). I'd go crazy with nothing to do or work on.

I admire your dedication to the marriage and hope that perhaps there's a meeting point. Any chance of buying a farm over there? :)

We are trying to find a farm she wants fruit trees for some extra income so maybe if the price is right..

See this is the problem over the years with the X wives we never saved for retirement so I am going to have to rely on SS and over there I can live quite well.

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #12  
I suppose if I was an invalid, I could make do with a 1/2 ac. I just can't see me living like that now. I have too many tools and machines that I'm not willing to give up just yet although I'm not married either. :) After moving to the country from housing where you could reach out and practically touch the next house, I've grown accustomed to the free space and quiet. Not to mention being able to do anything I want on the property (no restrictions/ordinances). I'd go crazy with nothing to do or work on.

You probably wouldn't like these new houses about 5 miles from me, especially the nearest ones.

Bruce

Newhouses.jpg

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #13  
See this is the problem over the years with the X wives we never saved for retirement so I am going to have to rely on SS and over there I can live quite well.
I know that situation well. I have two Xs and went through two distributions of savings. I guess I'm fortunate to have SS and having to pay only annual taxes on the property. I own everything out-right. I got over the need for new cars and tractors a long time ago so I don't have any payments on anything now. And the property itself provides supplemental income from farming and gardening.

I pray you find peace with any decision you make. :2cents:

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #14  
I have often thought about moving to another country when I retire. Costa Rica has always been at the top of my list. I have a friend who lives there and I have busted there as well. My main concerns are my options to earn anything would be limited in another country so if I made the leap and my savings were not as adequate as I thought I would be in trouble. At least here in the US I feel I could easily do work on a part time basis if needed.

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #15  
Have you visited the Philippines for a month, minimum, prior to this potential relocation? Have you travelled outside the USA and Canada?

When you arrive in the Philippines the culture will be entirely foreign. This is OK for the young, or if you have spent considerable time traveling outside the USA, but as you are older it will surprise you how foreign and baffling the Philippines culture can be. And you will have demanding family obligations, unknown in the USA.

I cannot help but think English speakers in the Philippines will find the Maine inflection of English practically unintelligible.

If you are out of the Manilla area, English speakers are likely to be a distinct minority.

If you buy land it will likely have to be titled to a Philippine citizen and you will have zero recourse.

Should your wife die before you die, what will your situation in the Philippines be?

What about Medicare? I think you forfeit Medicare coverage outside the USA, although I may be incorrect. Assuming you have to buy medical services at the market rate for foreigners, how will that affect your retirement lifestyle?

I have a Florida neighbor who managed airport facilities in Manilla. He wants to sell his former Manilla home. He has been trying for ten years, unsuccessfully, to get his wife's extended family out of his former home in Manilla, where they are squatting and not paying rent. He has paid considerable legal fees, plus property taxes every year but the legal system is s-l-o-w and U.S.A citizens are all considered rich.

(2014 per capita income in the Philippines was $1,650. Probably 50% higher in Manilla.)

Have your eyes open before making this expensive move.

I would suggest a one or two months "research" visit to your potential relocation site before pulling up stakes in Maine.

Last edited:
   / Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #16  
Be carefull if buying a used car or property... you will quickly learn the seller does not own them and you have no recourse.
Yes, I have lived in the Philippines for five years.

mark

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #17  
We are actively thinking of moving overseas when we retire. Not so much to save money but to see the world. I know people who have stayed a decent amount of time in the PI and I have read articles about it as well. It is very cheap to live over there and you can get good quality health care for very little cost. As others have mentioned, I think only Philippine citizens can own land.

One also should be aware of the active Moro insurrection in the southern PI. The communist insurrection has all but died off but they are still active in some areas. Westerners have been kidnapped as far north as Palawan Island as well as in the south. Westerners have also been assassinated in some areas. I never read if these attacks were Moro related, family issues, or if the westerners were dealing with the wrong people.

Reading about people traveling the world and getting health care is an eye opener because they are getting good care for very little money. One of the issues with health care is the impact of ***** Care and Medicare of being overseas. I THINK, one really needs to dig into this, is that you only can use Medicare in the US so all care overseas will have to be covered by other policies, or more likely, out of pocket. What I have read about ***** Care is that you still must have a US health care policy even though you spend most of your time overseas. I think it was something like you have to be overseas for more than 11 months but if you came home to visit say a few weeks at Christmas, maybe take a vacation with family for a few weeks, you could easily be required to have an ***** Care policy. Just something to know about.

Another issue is FATCA which has been causing problems for people living overseas. Basically, you have to report overseas assets in your tax return, and you must file the paper work even if you don't owe Federal taxes. Failure to do so can enable the Feds to take, without a court order or trial, about half the money in an account. This was aimed at people avoiding paying their taxes but it has hit many poor and middle class people living overseas and caused many to renounce the US citizen ship. By the way, it costs quite a bit of money to renounce your US citizen ship...

There are also problems now with banks and credit card companies if you do not have a real address. People living full time on boats and RV's for years have used mail forwarding companies which also provide an address. Because of recent law changes some companies are requiring a real address which some people simply do not have since they live on a boat or RV. Not sure how this is going to turn out but it might apply to you living overseas.

I don't think these are unsolvable problems but issues to be aware.

Later,
Dan

Thanks Dan lots of good information I will have my tax person over here make sure that the FATCA is taken care of.

I did live the for 30 days and loved the people and the surroundings, most had no problem with my English. The wife will hold the paper on any land and house over there as tey are the only ones that can own..

Still not sure about the banking aspects though. One long term expat that has been there for years said he still used his American bank along with a Philippines bank. He kept 10 g in the bank there and would wright checks from his American bank for cash to live on. " The checks take 30 days to clear"

Be carefull if buying a used car or property... you will quickly learn the seller does not own them and you have no recourse.
Yes, I have lived in the Philippines for five years.

mark
You are right there for sure .. Luckily the wife has 2 relative's that are lawyers and one in real state.

You are right there for sure .. Luckily the wife has 2 relative's that are lawyers and one in real state.

mark, What part of the island we are trying for Luzon Provence