Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines...

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #21  
My wife is also Filipino. She got her citizenship in 2015. My understanding is that she is limited on the amount of property she can own in The Philippines unless she jumps through some hoops and obtains dual citizenship. The laws may have changed since I last looked though.

I've been to The Philippines 4 times staying about a month each time since 2006. I've got a couple friends that are also fil/am couples who stay in Cebu and one couple owns property there. I myself do no plan on retiring there, we have a young son who we probably wouldn't want to leave here in the US when he's in his early 20's.

Another American friend of ours got permanent residency in Philippines, had a couple businesses and houses through his wife. Thye were in Tacloban when typhoon Yolanda tore through and they were almost killed by the storm surge. They moved back to the US after that disaster.

Where my is from, Northern Samar, electricity is not reliable, transportation is poor, and she doesn't want to move back there really. She'd rather get her family to the USA.

Kevin

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #22  
Don't be shocked about the culture change. Filipino safety shoes are flip flops. Once watched a utility worker at the top of a power pole with his safety harness tied off to the rear bumper of the truck! Have two close friends who arrived in Manila yesterday and she will have thousands of dollars worth of dental work for 5000 pesos, about $120.00 in US.

mark

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #23  
Just wondering if anybody here has done this ?? The wife is from there and we are looking for houses now. Any thoughts on banking ?

Back when I was stationed at Clark, I put the Philippines in the back of my mind as an option for retirement thinking you could live like a king on social security alone there. I had a great time in the Philippines. If Hiliary gets elected I might be joining you. LOL

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #24  
Thanks for the offer but I have 3 people that want to buy it already....

You could probably take it to the Philippines and sell it for a fortune if it's anything like cars were back when I was there.

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines...
My wife is also Filipino. She got her citizenship in 2015. My understanding is that she is limited on the amount of property she can own in The Philippines unless she jumps through some hoops and obtains dual citizenship. The laws may have changed since I last looked though.

I've been to The Philippines 4 times staying about a month each time since 2006. I've got a couple friends that are also fil/am couples who stay in Cebu and one couple owns property there. I myself do no plan on retiring there, we have a young son who we probably wouldn't want to leave here in the US when he's in his early 20's.

Another American friend of ours got permanent residency in Philippines, had a couple businesses and houses through his wife. Thye were in Tacloban when typhoon Yolanda tore through and they were almost killed by the storm surge. They moved back to the US after that disaster.

Where my is from, Northern Samar, electricity is not reliable, transportation is poor, and she doesn't want to move back there really. She'd rather get her family to the USA.

Kevin

The places we are looking at are out of the storm surge zones we want to be in the mountains somewhere but not where there are land slides..

My wife is still a citizen of the Philippines so hopefully buying and owning prosperity won't be a problem..

Don't be shocked about the culture change. Filipino safety shoes are flip flops. Once watched a utility worker at the top of a power pole with his safety harness tied off to the rear bumper of the truck! Have two close friends who arrived in Manila yesterday and she will have thousands of dollars worth of dental work for 5000 pesos, about $120.00 in US.

mark
Ya I saw how they wire things there kida scary..

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #27  
The places we are looking at are out of the storm surge zones we want to be in the mountains somewhere but not where there are land slides..

My wife is still a citizen of the Philippines so hopefully buying and owning prosperity won't be a problem..

When moving to the mountains, check for New People's Army activity before you buy!

Kevin

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #28  
You are right there for sure .. Luckily the wife has 2 relative's that are lawyers and one in real state.

Whatever you do don't ever make them mad.

Been a while but the first of the year I retired and we have been looking hard for a house,, We finely found one and are headed over the 25th. to hopefully buy it. Just a small place about 1400 sq. m , 2 bedroom and 2 baths. The house is almost new I guess we will see how it goes..

/ Retireing this fall and moveing to the Philippines... #30  

Well, forget the Philippines, then.

"Hopefully"???

That's a mighty weak foundation for a retirement plan.