finders keepers or ...

/ finders keepers or ... #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
I was crusin down the road this winter and I notice a nice piece of chain on the side of the road so I hit the brakes and threw it in back. Yahoo /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. But I have been wondering??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What do you think? Is it finders keepers or keep your sticky fingers off of other peoples stuff as far as stuff found by the side of the road.

Chris

/ finders keepers or ... #2  
It is definately finders keepers on something like that. Now if it was something that you have a way of finding the owner for then that is a different story. My wife is constantly embarrassed at my pulling over or turning around to fetch something I see lying on the side of the road.

I once saw a car pulling out of a church parking lot when a Bible slid off the roof of the car. I stopped and picked it up and chased the car for about 3 miles while flashing my lights at them to get their attention. They finally came to a stop at an intersection and had to wait for traffic to clear. That gave me time to get out and wave their Bible to them. I guess they thought I was a crazed lunatic until they saw their Bible. They had put it on top of the car while unlocked the door.

/ finders keepers or ... #4  
I say it's finders keepers as long as it is on a public road!!!!!!!
No going into people's yards and finding things!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ finders keepers or ... #5  
I had the same experince a few years ago. Driving down a country road as I rounded a sharp corner the glint of metal caught my eye. Stopping I found a 12 foot long tow chain which I picked up. There were no houses close by so I called it mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Randy

/ finders keepers or ... #6  
I have found 1/2 of a PTO shaft, still waiting on the other half. 1 2-D cell MAGLITE. It had 3M X amount of Safe Working Hours printed on it. A kids Lil Tikes playhouse. The play house was down in a ditch about 10-12 feet. I had to climb down there, tie a rope to it and pull it out. My dad worked for the phone company and would find things on the side of the road all the time. I guess working on the side of the road helped. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ finders keepers or ... #7  
I was driving along one day when I spotted a metal box laying in the gutter. I stopped and picked it up, and found that it was a complete set of Snap-On sockets! I knew right away that some worker had probably set the box on the bumper of his truck or on a trailer fender and forgot where it was. It finally bounced off where I found it.

Knowing how expensive these were, I did pull off the side of the street and waited for about 20 minutes to see if anyone came back looking for them. Of course, they probably didn't have any idea where they had fallen off, so how would they know where to look? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But by waiting those few minutes, I did feel better about driving off with them once I left! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ finders keepers or ... #8  
If you did not stop to pick it up, somebody else would have. IT'S YOURS! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ finders keepers or ... #10  
Golfgar..... please return my socket set to me.....

I found a heavy black rubber truck tarp on the interstate last fall and when I pulled off to the side to retrieve it, a State Trooper pulled up behind me. Asked me what I was doing, and I said that I was going to remove the tarp to the side of the road so now one would get hurt. He asked if I wanted it and I said yes. He then backed up, called another trooper and they stopped traffic in the lane while they helped me drag it to my car and put it in back. I think that it must weigh at least 100 pounds. They just wanted it off the roadway before there was an accident. That is why I am called "Junkman" and I call this stuff "road kill"!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My wife claims that I was born under a fender at the junkyard!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif