My Jeep needs help

/ My Jeep needs help #1  

toddler

Gold Member
Tractor
Previously: Kubota B2710. Now Deere 3520
Hi everyone,
I seem to have a problem with my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that nobody can figure out. I was hoping to get some suggestions from all you mechanically inclined tractor lovers before I bring it in AGAIN.

So here's my dissertation on the problem.

My jeep has the 4 liter 6 cylinder engine, 4wd auto. Because it seemed to have a little less pick up than when new, at 50K miles I decided to do a tune up. So I bought the instruction book for the car, and proceeded to change the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Not being a mechanic, I did this all at once, not in steps, and when the book said grease the contacts of the distributor cap with dialectric grease, I greased the ones on the inside of the cap./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Apparently the book meant the ones for the wires.

I then restarted my car, with its new Bosch plugs and fancy wires. It fired up after a few seconds, then almost stalled. The tach went to about 300 and the car shuddered, so I gave it some gas. The tach went back to its normal idle, but it seemed rough. I drove it around a little after making sure the wiring was ok, and it drove fine. But the idle stayed rough./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I then went to several mechanics to ask what was wrong, and nobody had any ideas. The wires seemed good, but I changed them again. No difference. Replaced the cap and rotor (sans grease), no fix. Went back to OEM plugs, no fix. Our local jeep dealer and mechanics at 2 garages said it probably was rough before, and I didn't notice.

My jeep has now had a rough idle for 40k more. Every time it goes in for a lube,oil, and filter I ask the mechanic to try to find the problem, and they can't. Fuel injector cleaning/flushing, no fix. Fuel additives, no fix. Complete tune up including fuel filter change, no fix. Several trips to the diagnostic computer, no alarms. Clean the air intake, no change except it runs great for a few seconds while that organic solvent goes through after spraying the butterfly valve.

Well, now it's time to sell. So I bring it to jeep one more time, for a lube oil and filter, and to make sure there aren't any problems with it, and they find nothing wrong. I'm told a lot of jeeps idle rough, maybe I should try running higher octane fuel. So I try that.

BIG MISTAKE!! Now the idle is rougher. Also, while it's OK in park or neutral, when I turn without giving it gas, say backing out of a parking space, it REALLY shudders and feels like it's going to stall. Everything smooths out above idle.

I'm stumped. I want to sell it, but I DON'T want to sell somebody a problem. So what do I do? Any guesses what I did when I tuned it up? Back then I thought maybe I knocked some dirt into the cylinders, but all the mechanics said no, that problem would have resolved itself??? Is it rougher on high octane because it's loosing compression somewhere, or would that get worse at higher rpm's?

If we find the problem, I'll let you guys know. Any ideas where we should start looking?

Todd

/ My Jeep needs help #2  
Did you check the cat.converter yet? I have the same jeep and have had to replace the converter twice. It would block up or brake up inside. After the last one let go I just removed the insides and it runs alot better now.

18-30445-von.gif

/ My Jeep needs help #3  
Todd.
I know the small Cherokees have had problems with the crank sensor. this could be the problem.

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ My Jeep needs help #4  
I don't know anything about the Jeeps, and would assume? a '95 has fuel injection, but in '91 I was working with my brothers in their garage in Anchorage and a customer brought his in, saying it had been to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't find the problem. Took about 2 minutes to find that the bolts holding he carb. on the manifold were loose, letting it suck in air.

Bird

/ My Jeep needs help #5  
Sounds like maybe a broken/split/disconnected vacuum line which could have been bumped while you were doing the plugs. Also could be switched firing order from the plug wires not in the right places, though 40K is a lot of miles for this condition. I'm surprised there aren't any engine faults being set as rough as you described it though. We had a regular Cherokee with the same engine and it was always silky smooth. How about your idle speed, is it too low? Hope you solve your mystery /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ My Jeep needs help #6  
Same thing happened to my wife's jeep that she had two years ago before she got her mountaineer. It was under warranty so had it to five different dealers and noone could figure it out. My grandpa was out visiting and said that's the crank sensor after hearing it run for about 30 seconds. He went and picked one up and put it in while I was at work and it ran fine after that.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ My Jeep needs help #7  
crank sensor is a very likely or maybe the throtle position sensor. Just disconnect it.

/ My Jeep needs help #8  
Todd,

We have a 89 Jeep Cherokee with the same engine. We've had similar problems with it (rough idle). Each time, the solution has been one of two things (1) O2 sensor, and (2)Crank position sensor.

We've replaced the O2 sensor three times now, and the crnk postition sensor once. So if your engine is like ours, I would bet (1) O2 sensor, then (2) crank position sensor.

The GlueGuy

/ My Jeep needs help #9  
Todd

Try checking battery voltage running while running, should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Check to make sure the diode pattern is good from the alternator, should have very little RF. Also I would suggest a new ignition coil. I have run into marginal and faulty coils before on jeeps.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ My Jeep needs help #10  
Boy can't help but think that everyone needs more sensors on their cars so nobody can tell what the heck is going on. NOT! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Darin