Bringing the draft back ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Bringing the draft back ??? #1  

muddy

I read today there is legislation that is trying to bring the draft back or at least 2 years of some type of service work for the goverment of the ages of 18 to 26 regardless of what sex you are.

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #2  
They have been quietly appointing new people to the draft boards I have read in local newspaper, so it doesn't surprise me. The draft was never totally dismantled, and when men reach 18, they still must register for the draft at their local post office. They only dismantled the drafting policy in favor of a all volunteer military. Now they are having problems getting people to join voluntary, so it is an inevitable situation that if the military is to continue, it will have to be with some form of compulsory service. It will be interesting to see how the voters will take to this, but it won't happen until after the elections.

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #3  
Wow, this is a very complicated issue!

Even before Gulf War II I was pondering this one, but for very different reasons. Some background: I served in the Marine Corps, but switched to the navy when wounds left me unable to meet the physical requirements of being an infantry type. When I first enlisted, we still had some draftees. They questioned everything (not all of them, but enough), which caused our leaders to carefully consider the rationale of their orders and, in my opinion, helped those leaders develop a dynamic "Follow me!" style. As we shifted to the all volunteer force, those dissenters vanished and there was a palpable shift to "group think" in which nothing was questioned and some really stupid orders were blindly followed.

That's why I left the service as a navy chief after 13 years, despite having just been selected for the Warrant Officer Physician Assistant program. I didn't like the direction it was going.

Since then, I've noticed with considerable pride and gratification the turnaround in the quality of leadership. I'm not sure what precipitated it, but the results have been spectacular. The armed services are, once again, a place where a young man or woman can develop their potential and embrace all the responsibility they care to take on. And the failure to take responsibility for their actions is one thing that has been driving me nuts among the teens in our little town. This emphasis on individual rights while totally ignoring the responsibilities that go along with being a citizen of this nation is a real sore point with me... and is a vice I rarely see among those who served.

So there's one personal reason I would not be diametrically opposed to the restoration of the draft. Here's another.

Last year at Town Meeting, a solid New England institution of democracy, I entered wearing my USMC veteran ballcap. Immediately a gentleman in his seventies rose and invited me to sit with him. He had served in WWII. I had served in SE Asia. We had never met before, but embraced one another as brothers on the spot. There are few institutions in this day and age that can span the generational gap with that spirit of brotherhood, that universality of experience that is so sorely lacking in America today.

Military veterans get along. We relate to one another. We have a bond that will never die, that will always tie us together as brothers (and sisters). Service instills in us a sense of shared honor, of doing the right thing for this nation of ours.

And I really have to stop there. Going further would get into the politics of the present conflict (which I oppose), and that's beyond the scope of TBN. Let's just say I was trained to wage war intelligently, and I'm not seeing a lot of that among the bureaucrats.

Semper fi! Pete

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #4  
I myself, served two tours in sunny S.E.Asia. What I would like to see brought back are the ones who were told to serve via court order or those who can't make it in school or society in general.. I was a flight crew chief on Huey's and saw the vast majority (9 out of 10) that were "ordered into service" by a court, they were the great warriors.. Today, to many rights. Can't yell, can't swear, can't tell these young ones what to do, on and on.. 9 out of 10 became great men and returned to society totally different people and contribute to the society also..

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #5  
Amen, let it happen. It's only my opinion, but, what makes any of these self centered morons think they are better than any vet? I'm a Union Committeeman, er person, that is confronted with poor me attitudes daily. Funny how the ones that dodged the draft turned out to be tbe CEO's etc, we all enjoy today. No you didn't have to go to Canada or somewhere else to be a draft dodger.

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #6  
I'm against compulsatory military service except in the case of a declared war.

Now, I was drafted and enlisted in the Navy...stayed in 8 active and 5 active reserve, so I'm no bleeding heart type.

However, unless our "leaders" have the guts to declare a war, they have no right to send men and women in harm's way.

If the draft is reinstated, there must be no deferments...period.

/ Bringing the draft back ???
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Now they are having problems getting people to join voluntary, so it is an inevitable situation that if the military is to continue, </font> )</font>

Are they having problems getting people to join,or is it just because they become over extended so fast with the war going on ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> <font color="blueclass=small">( If the draft is reinstated, there must be no deferments...period.

) </font> )

The article said the only deferment would be someone graduating from high school,other than that....no deferment.

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #8  
As I have read on this issue, the people sponsoring this bill are doing it so that ALL people of that age must serve, not just the volunteers. By making it mandatory, all people of all backgounds, educational, and financial status would have to serve. Their intention was to make the people that decide to send our people into harms way(usually career politicians with hefty bank accounts) think twice about it, because their kids will be going along right with everyone else. They have also made mention of an agreement with Canada so there will be no draft dodging.

And as I recall... there is currently no draft. When you turn 18 you have to register with Selective Service so they have the list ready in case they bring back the draft lottery. I had to register in 1980 at the age of 19, because that is when it was brought back by Congress.

Here's a link to a good definition of the Selective Service. http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/s1/selectiv.asp

Best wishes to any of you that have loved ones in the Armed Services. May they come home safe.

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #9  
I'm a vet too...

But I think all the draft will do is give the top dog more fresh meat to send off to be turned into hamburger.

icon13.gif
big time /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Bringing the draft back ??? #10  
<font color="blue"> I'm a vet too... </font>

I'm not a veteran... hope I didn't give you that impression. I've never been in the Armed Services. Thank you for your service to our country. I appreciate it greatly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the sponsors of this bill were making the point that... if the Congress or President had to send their own kids to war, maybe they would do more to prevent it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.