USAA Insurance Questions

/ USAA Insurance Questions #11  
USAA's member rules have been liberalized a lot. When they started it was only for active duty officers. I am a member and so are some of my kids. I am a retired reserve officer. It is now open even for enlisted. Not sure on all the rules. My family and I will never change from them unless something bad happens. my wife's son banks,has investments, insurance, car loans, and house loans with them.

I think your mother is probably eligible, if so; then you would be also. Yes, the DD 214 is the only recognized/legal proof of military service.

Ron

/ USAA Insurance Questions
So I went through the family papers and can't find anything that says DD 214

Dad's Discharge from active duty is dated December 1947

Some of the documents plainly state to be kept as proof of military service and the instructions advise recording which Dad did.

I have:

Notice of Separation from Naval Service (NAVPERS 553)
Honorable Discharge in Testimonial of Honest and Faithful Service (NAVPERS 660)
Military Billet Filled Tower Operator (NAVPERS 601)
Letter form President Harry Truman
Additional Documents for Reserve after active duty.

Last edited:
   / USAA Insurance Questions #13  
So I went through the family papers and can't find anything that says DD 214 Dad's Discharge from active duty is dated December 1947 Some of the documents plainly state to be kept as proof of military service and the instructions advise recording which Dad did. I have: Notice of Separation from Naval Service (NAVPERS 554) Honorable Discharge in Testimonial of Honest and Faithful Service (NAVPERS 660) Military Billet Filled Tower Operator (NAVPERS 601) Letter form President Harry Truman Additional Documents for Reserve after active duty.

There are earlier docs:

DD Form 214, Discharge Papers and Separation Documents

I'm a member and likely will always be. So is our son

A little more research shows the DD 214 originated January 1, 1950. Prior to that the Navy used NAVPERS 553

This explains why I don't have a DD 124 as it was not used prior to 1950 and Dad was very meticulous with his papers...

It seems odd that USAA told me they can do nothing without the DD 124 when Dad's active duty ended in December 1947... at least as I understand it.

I appreciate the TBN assist... we had a lot of Navy friends... both mine and Dad's... most were Commanders at the time of retirement and sadly all are gone now.

/ USAA Insurance Questions #15  
A little more research shows the DD 214 originated January 1, 1950. Prior to that the Navy used NAVPERS 553 This explains why I don't have a DD 124 as it was not used prior to 1950 and Dad was very meticulous with his papers... It seems odd that USAA told me they can do nothing without the DD 124 when Dad's active duty ended in December 1947... at least as I understand it. I appreciate the TBN assist... we had a lot of Navy friends... both mine and Dad's... most were Commanders at the time of retirement and sadly all are gone now.

My guess would be they just don't see a lot off pre DD214 requests, but armed with your new found knowledge I suspect they'll accept the older docs.

I hope to contact USAA in the morning.

It appears Dad would not have even been eligible for USAA as a Tower Operator during the time he served as eligibility was very limited.

Mom's friends that can't say enough good things are all widows of Navy officers.

/ USAA Insurance Questions #17  
I checked into usaa for my mom. unless the military member was a usaa member, defendants are not eligible. My father had already died when I investigated the insurance

/ USAA Insurance Questions #18  
So I went through the family papers and can't find anything that says DD 214

Dad's Discharge from active duty is dated December 1947

Some of the documents plainly state to be kept as proof of military service and the instructions advise recording which Dad did.

I have:

Notice of Separation from Naval Service (NAVPERS 553)
Honorable Discharge in Testimonial of Honest and Faithful Service (NAVPERS 660)
Military Billet Filled Tower Operator (NAVPERS 601)
Letter form President Harry Truman
Additional Documents for Reserve after active duty.
I think the NAVPERS 660 is the equivalent to the DD214 that has been issued for at least the last 45 years that I can confirm (thru my own discharge). I would take all of them with me to the USAA office.

/ USAA Insurance Questions #19  
I have read many times over the years that USAA was a great company. Years ago I looked into joining but I did not meet the membership requirements.

Flip side is that our current insurance company is awesome. Last time I checked prices, which was years ago, they they had the best policy prices by far and the customer service is amazing. Can't say enough good things about them. But it is a NC company which would not be helpful in CA. :D

Later,
Dan

/ USAA Insurance Questions #20  
USAA is great! Can't say enough good things about them. When I first joined it was only for Officers and my retired enlisted dad could not join. I can't remember when but they slowly started opening up membership to enlisted services. I was finally able to get my dad joined and he has auto, checking, savings and renters insurance with them. I pay all his bills for free using their webpay service.

I think the issue here is you dad was deceased before becoming a member. But as far as I know, that's only for some products like the Auto Insurance. I believe they opened up their Banking (credit card/checking, savings) and Investment services to the public so anyone can use those.

Don't know if its the same for checking account holders that aren't full members but one of the best things about the checking account is I can use my debit card at any ATM and they return the $3 fee or whatever it is to me so it costs me nothing.

I've been a member a looooooooog time. Lots of vehicle claims. Here lately they rely on their phone app/web site to process claims which is probably still pretty quick compared to other companies but in the "old" days before smartphones and the app you almost had to slow them down processing your claim.

Here's how my typical experience with them went back then. I call them up to make a claim. They take my information. They contracted with local area adjusters and they would call you back right away and schedule a time to come meet you for estimate of the damage. Sometimes it was like the very next day (never more than a few days). When the adjuster meets you at your work or home to check out the damage, they would give you a check on the spot to have it fixed! They also have relationships with body shops and if you take your vehicle to one of these body shops they recommend the repair is lifetime guaranteed!

So when I joined it was like the best kept secret in the world ... now it's opened up to almost everyone and they still maintain excellent service but rely a bit on technology to handle the load and that annoys me as I was used to getting a human on the phone but hey, it's no where near as bad as calling someone like Social Security or Medicare and being on hold for an hour and when they finally do answer they pass you around until they hang up on you!

And another good thing is I've been able to pass membership on to my wife and daughters who are all members with checking, savings, auto insurance etc.