Ford Edge or what's better?

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My wife is into dog shows and needs a mid sized SUV to haul the dogs, their crates and gear in. From what we've seen, the Ford Edge is just about the perfect size. We've read up on several reviews and talked to a few people that we know who have them, and it's all been positive. Before we commit, I was hoping for some suggestions on other SUV's to look at, or some warnings about the Edge.

We will either buy brand new, or a year old with low miles. V6 and front wheel drive. Prices are from the mid 20's to 30 grand.

Thanks

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #2  
I think DiamondPilot owns an Edge, he could probably tell you all about it. I don't even know what they compete against to tell you the truth! The only segments I ever keep up with in the vehicle world are trucks and mid-size cars since that's all I ever buy. I would at least look at Jeep Cherokee, Dodge, the new GMC Acadia thing I think it's called, Toyota and any other models that might interest you.

/ Ford Edge or what's better?
Thank you. I've been relying on edmunds.com for reviews and have found that a lot of them only get a B rating. Ford and Toyota both have an A rating. The Toyota Highlander and the Nissan Pathfinder and similar in size. The Pathfinder is also similar in price, but the reviews say it lacks acceleration. We might still look at them because the reviews are so good. The Highlander is probably better then the Edge, but it's also a jump in price and we're not sure if it's worth the extra money for what you get. She has a Toyota Corolla now and loves it except for it's too small to haul two 100 pound dongs hundreds of miles in.

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #4  
We tried to buy a Ford Edge, but even with the Ford X plan, we couldn't get what we thought was a good price and ended up buying a Mazda CX 5. It is a great little vehicle for driving in town and the surrounding rural areas. Handles very well, very maneuverable and fun to drive. My wife loves it. It might not be big enough to carry a couple of big dogs in cages without letting the back seats down.

It is a 2014 model; gets great gas mileage, but it does have some drawbacks. It is difficult to see rearward without the back up camera; it rides great on the highway but rides rough on rough roads. It is not built for comfort on long rides; the seats are utilitarian at best; Spartan on long trips. The interior could use some improvement, especially with console storage. The electronics are not very user friendly to us older folks, and we probably don't get any where near the use out of all of it's functions as it's capable of.

I think it would be great for a soccer Mom; the rear hatch and cargo space is very convenient. Great grocery getter; beats the heck out of my King Ranch Crew cab.

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #5  
My wife is into quilting, and also runs a small quilting supply business. When she goes to one of those retreats she takes a couple of her buddies with her, and all their supplies too. It looks like they have packed for a cross country trip.
We upgraded her previous SUV to the Toyota Highlander in 2013. So far this thing has been flawless, needing only regular scheduled maintenance, and gets just about 20 mpg, 25 on trips. I would suggest at least a test drive, before pulling the trigger.
By the way, I love the reviews on this site of just about any product you can think of, I really value the opinions of the posters here and their real world product reviews.

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #6  
Don't know much about the vehicle itself but the Edge powertrain is simply outstanding with the twin turbo motor.

Take a look at the Explorer too. Great vehicle.

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #7  
My wife is into dog shows and needs a mid sized SUV to haul the dogs, their crates and gear in. From what we've seen, the Ford Edge is just about the perfect size. We've read up on several reviews and talked to a few people that we know who have them, and it's all been positive. Before we commit, I was hoping for some suggestions on other SUV's to look at, or some warnings about the Edge.

We will either buy brand new, or a year old with low miles. V6 and front wheel drive. Prices are from the mid 20's to 30 grand.

Thanks

I have a 2013 Journey that is in that size group.. v6 Pentastar Flex Fuel, AWD, w/3rd row option. 2nd and 3rd row fold flat and is enough room that I put a 6" twin size foam mattress in the back for the wife when I took her to John Hopkins. Ride is a little on the 'sporty' side, but comfortable and with less body roll and sway of other SUVs I tried. Avg'd 24mpg @ 75mph avg speed the whole way :) There are (small) mountains between us and Baltimore. I avg ~22-23mpg in mixed driving (rural), and 26-27mpg on the highway if I stay 70mph or less.

The only problem I had (that wasnt caused by rodents :mad:) was the well known exhaust port casting problem that Chrysler took care of under warranty, and then extended the engines warranty out to 150k miles.

WP_20151224_003[1].jpg

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #8  
Oh, and whatever you get, get Keyless Entry and Push Button Start.. Will help her out tremendously while handling dogs. I love the keyless entry on the Journey.

/ Ford Edge or what's better? #10  
We've not owned one of the Edges, but we have owned an Escape with the ecoboost and now have an F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost. Now being a bit new to turbo charging, I paid a little extra for Ford's premium 6 yr/100k mile warranty, but so far no problems. So, if the Edge is the right size for you, I don't think you can go wrong. Personally, I'd take the Edge over any of the others mentioned, partly because of the brand, and partly because of the dealer I use.