Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids?

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
We took our second oldest grandkid (10 years old) to three art festivals today...they had crafts to view, rides, etc.and a multitude of other things to see and do but the kid wanted to participate in nothing of interest except stare at the screen of her Ipod the whole time. When we got home she did not want to play outside nor ride her bike nor swim in our pool...just stare at her Ipod or play with my wife's Ipad....I had to tell her to thank her grandma for what we experienced today but he was reluctant to do that. It truthfully makes me sad how little interest today's children have in anything unless they view it on a screen.

Am I the only one here who feels the same way? BTW I ABSOLUTELY HATE online gaming and the related stuff which is a huge time waster.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #2  
Don,t feel bad. I,ve got a brother in law and sister in law that come to visit us from New York City, and that,s all they do all day as well. Do we really have to know what everyone else is doing, 24/7 ?
Now when I know they are coming, I make sure I have 3 days worked line up to do while they are here. LOL
I don,t know just what it is with those timewasters, as you call them, but it,s no wonder a lot of kids are packing on the pounds.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #3  
Limit the time spent on electronic devices to X minutes per day. They can do it in one big bang, or split it up to 10 little pops, but don't let them go past X minutes. Trust me, they will have to know how to navigate their way around technology to get anywhere in the future. That doesn't mean they have to be immersed in it 24/7.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #4  
The vast majority of what is wrong with today's kids falls at the feet of today's parents.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #5  
   / Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #6  
The vast majority of what is wrong with today's kids falls at the feet of today's parents.

Or lack of.. Lots of 1 parent households now.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #7  
Or lack of.. Lots of 1 parent households now.

My daughter works as a teacher's aid in a pre kindegarten class. Her community is largely an upper middle class bedroom community, home to a considerable number of professionals who commute to OKC plus the staff at the local college. She says the kids are getting more unruly and un disciplined every year, it seems, and it's not just the boys...the girls are exhibiting this kind of behavior also.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #8  
RetiredGuy2, why didn't you take the electronics away from her?

We have the same problem but handle it differently. If the seven year old grand plays a game while in the car or at night we say nothing. In the middle of a sunny day or when we are at a restaurant or something, they are not allowed.

Don't intend to be mean or start a war but if you allowed this YOU are part of the problem. And if the answer is you don't want to make her angry enough that she won't visit then that is just an excuse for not doing what is right.

Once again I'm not trying to criticize but don't blame on somebody else what you could help correct.

RSKY

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #9  
We have 2 grand daughters. (20&21)
They had a 7-8 hr power failure.
One, the eldest grabbed a book and read all the time while the other moaned and groaned that her Iphone or something could not be charged and did not know what else to do.
They have a cottage and the eldest swims, canoes walks etc (and always visits gran'a and gramps) while the other locks herself in the room and texts her friends.

/ Whatt the (blleep) is wrong with today's kids? #10  
As a parent of 6, ages 2 to 15, I do my best to limit the electronics time... living on a farm, we have ample outside time, but in my opinion, there is still too much time wasted doing basically nothing. I grew up with no TV in our house until I was 15, drives me nuts when I have to correct our kids, acting like the garbage shows the watch...

However, our kids do behave well in public, we often are complimented on how well they behave. Despite my thinking they could be better (my philosophy is there's always room for improvement no matter who you are) I have to admit they do well. At home is a different case... also depends on if it's just me or the wife alone with them, or us both... also, as step parent to the older 2, has its own set of issues. But on the whole, our kids are good kids, friendly to others, and speak to and interact with adults well.

A night at the county fair yesterday made me like our kids much more. The teens waiting in lines at rides need taught a thing or two about good behavior in public, and politeness to those around them.