Preparing for knee surgery next Monday

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
It did not sink in to me how bad my knee was until I had to quit taking Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) ten days before the surgery. Surgery is the 29th so I haven't taken any since the nineteenth. My knee aches all the time and at times hurts bad enough to bring tears to my eyes. Formerly I would take one pill every morning when I got up. First thing I did. Then another about lunch depending on activity. A third in the afternoon. No more than three in a day.

So here I sit, at 9:30 in the morning, been up since 6, and needing to go out and get some things done and I am sitting here instead. Why, because my stupid knee is aching. Keep telling my wife it is too wet out to mow. It will quit aching in a while but I sometimes can be walking and BAM, pain from my hip to my ankle. WHY have I waited this long??

All you guys with bad knees/joints, try going for a couple days without any pain meds to see how it really is. All the meds do is cover up the problem while you slowly grind the joint down to the point it catches and grinds all the time.

On a positive note we were eating at a local restaurant Saturday when a young lady who was a former student of my wife and the daughter of a former co-worker of mine stopped to talk. (Makes you feel good when a stunningly beautiful lady thirty years younger than you runs up and hugs you!) We caught up a little and my wife told her that I was getting my knee replaced. Now this girl is a medical salesperson. She represents several different lines of pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. She got a funny look on her face and asked who was doing my surgery. When we told her who the surgeon was she relaxed and said that she was afraid I was getting another local "yahoo" (her words) to do it. She said that the doctor I am using was rated among the top ten in the United States for joint replacement. I asked her what she meant and she said they are graded on patient satisfaction, infections after surgery, complications after surgery, speed of recovery, and several other factors. She said, as have other medical professionals I have talked to, that he is the only orthopedic surgeon she would let touch her or her children if they needed surgery.

So that made me feel better. And I'm not just talking about the hug either.

I am doing the exercises I was given in the 'Joint Replacement Boot Camp' I had to attend. I think they are designed to show you how bad your knee really is. They HURT. All you do is lay on your back and tense the muscles in your upper leg and hold them for a ten count, release those muscles and tense the ones in your butt for a ten count. Rest for a ten count and repeat.

Makes the knee hurt like He11. But is supposed to help speed recovery.

Other items discussed in the boot camp were diet (lean meat and heart healthy foods that increase blood), and setting up the house to use a walker (use the walker to go thru your house before you need it). They also discussed simple things like which side of the bed to sleep on and which side of the couch do we sit on watching TV. My wife and I are going to swap sides for the duration of my recovery period. Since it is my left knee I need the couch arm to be on my right to assist getting up. Same thing with the bed, need to be where I get up so my right foot hits the floor first. There were other simple things we were told that the lady said had helped greatly in the recovery of joint replacement patients. In fact they are making it mandatory for patients to attend the one and a half hour sessions before surgery.

Anyway, I am dreading the surgery but glad to finally get it over with. If you need to know the doctors name send me a PM and I will give it to you. But a warning, they are already scheduling consultations in January of 2017.

RSKY

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #2  
I play hockey 3 times a week in season at Redford Arena in an Over 60 league. About a third of the guys here have had 1 or BOTH knees replaced and also hips (a bad knee usually causes unusual loads on a hip joint). And they skate better than me.

They play better than before all their problems started. They are not allowed to play unless they can get 95 degrees rotation in the joint. Some say they still have difficulty getting up from falling (can't remember the cause of this).

I kneed one too it turns out. I used a sports medicine doctor. He does 3 or 4 a week in Ann Arbor. If it done in the morning, you will be walking out assisted by the end of the day. Some report pain starting after day 3 or 4, but that's becuase of the brutal therapy sessions. Make sure you don't skip them.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #3  
Quit worrying, relax, and just get it done. Been around the horn twice with no issues and no restrictions.
Grin and bare the therapy cause it hurts like he** but only for a shot time.
B. John

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #4  
It did not sink in to me how bad my knee was until I had to quit taking Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) ten days before the surgery. Surgery is the 29th so I haven't taken any since the nineteenth. My knee aches all the time and at times hurts bad enough to bring tears to my eyes. Formerly I would take one pill every morning when I got up. First thing I did. Then another about lunch depending on activity. A third in the afternoon. No more than three in a day.

So here I sit, at 9:30 in the morning, been up since 6, and needing to go out and get some things done and I am sitting here instead. Why, because my stupid knee is aching. Keep telling my wife it is too wet out to mow. It will quit aching in a while but I sometimes can be walking and BAM, pain from my hip to my ankle. WHY have I waited this long??

All you guys with bad knees/joints, try going for a couple days without any pain meds to see how it really is. All the meds do is cover up the problem while you slowly grind the joint down to the point it catches and grinds all the time.

On a positive note we were eating at a local restaurant Saturday when a young lady who was a former student of my wife and the daughter of a former co-worker of mine stopped to talk. (Makes you feel good when a stunningly beautiful lady thirty years younger than you runs up and hugs you!) We caught up a little and my wife told her that I was getting my knee replaced. Now this girl is a medical salesperson. She represents several different lines of pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. She got a funny look on her face and asked who was doing my surgery. When we told her who the surgeon was she relaxed and said that she was afraid I was getting another local "yahoo" (her words) to do it. She said that the doctor I am using was rated among the top ten in the United States for joint replacement. I asked her what she meant and she said they are graded on patient satisfaction, infections after surgery, complications after surgery, speed of recovery, and several other factors. She said, as have other medical professionals I have talked to, that he is the only orthopedic surgeon she would let touch her or her children if they needed surgery.

So that made me feel better. And I'm not just talking about the hug either.

I am doing the exercises I was given in the 'Joint Replacement Boot Camp' I had to attend. I think they are designed to show you how bad your knee really is. They HURT. All you do is lay on your back and tense the muscles in your upper leg and hold them for a ten count, release those muscles and tense the ones in your butt for a ten count. Rest for a ten count and repeat.

Makes the knee hurt like He11. But is supposed to help speed recovery.

Other items discussed in the boot camp were diet (lean meat and heart healthy foods that increase blood), and setting up the house to use a walker (use the walker to go thru your house before you need it). They also discussed simple things like which side of the bed to sleep on and which side of the couch do we sit on watching TV. My wife and I are going to swap sides for the duration of my recovery period. Since it is my left knee I need the couch arm to be on my right to assist getting up. Same thing with the bed, need to be where I get up so my right foot hits the floor first. There were other simple things we were told that the lady said had helped greatly in the recovery of joint replacement patients. In fact they are making it mandatory for patients to attend the one and a half hour sessions before surgery.

Anyway, I am dreading the surgery but glad to finally get it over with. If you need to know the doctors name send me a PM and I will give it to you. But a warning, they are already scheduling consultations in January of 2017.

RSKY

Well if it goes for you anything like it did for my wife you're gonna be a new person when it's over and you've got all the recovery and PT behind you. She's had two done, a partial for one knee and a full on the other. Her partial is starting to act up again so skip any partial and go right to the the full replacement. Recovery didn't take any longer for either one so the partial really makes no sense.
It's a pretty common operation these days so finding a doc shouldn't be hard for anyone. I think Medicare took care of most of it and her supplemental insurance paid the rest.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #5  
Good luck RSKY. I wish you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. I am waiting to hear about how well your are getting around when you recover. Take care.

My wife will be following in your footsteps soon. My old left knee is getting better, and I don't have any pain now. I don't take any pain relievers any more.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #6  
The wife of a life long friend has had both knees totally replaced. Her only problem was she didn't think she needed to "stay down" for so long to heal. Her husband was always having to tell her to stay down, rest & heal. That was three years ago and she is now as active as a teenager. Her only regret - should have had the operations ten years ago. I guess new technology, methods and the replacement parts themselves has vastly improved these operations.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #7  
I'm sure some doctors are better than others, just as some hospitals are better than others. I didn't really do much "research" about the doctor and hospital that I used for my right knee replacement, but I did ask the doctor how many knee replacements he had done and he said, "More than a thousand." My wife and I, and one of our daughters, went to an "orientation" meeting at the hospital a few days before the surgery, and my daughter said, "They made it sound like a resort instead of a hospital." And I can tell you that I was amazed at how well I was treated, how well I was fed:laughing:, and the incredible lengths they went to in order to prevent any infections. And there wasn't enough pain involved to need any pain medication; in fact, hardly any pain at all. The home physical therapy was a bit uncomfortable at times, but far from being intolerable.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #8  
Surgeon should be ok with you taking Tylenol preop...

If anesthesia offers any kind of Regional Anesthesia for post-op pain, do it.

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #9  
RSKY I had bi lateral hips done back in 2012, same day, 1 recovery and don't regret it one bit. I also play hockey,
twice a week year round, with guys ranging from 18 to 78, including some D1 players occasionally. The only
thing I can offer is follow the recovery mantra, rest, PT, fuel your body and repeat. Before you know it, you will
be wondering why you waited so long!
Good luck with the recovery
also, if you haven't found it yet, there is a great forum dedicated to knee/hip recovery, BoneSmart: Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement Community & Patient Help
follow that to the knee pre op and then post op area, tons of great info and support there...very good people!

/ Preparing for knee surgery next Monday #10  
Had both knees replaced 9/4/14, walked down the hall and back on the 5th, walked down the hall and up and down two steps twice on the 6th. Left the hospital the 4th day and spent 7 days in rehab. The pain was less and different than before surgery, then at six and half months it was like the pain was switched off. My knees are a little stiff if I sit too long, but wouldn't have the old joints back for anything. Good luck with the recovery and you'll be thankful for the relief.