Gassy Dog

/ Gassy Dog #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I hesitated to post this here because it seems like a silly problem but it is getting to be a real problem. And while it is a funny subject I'm looking for real advice if there is any.

My new dog is horribly gassy. He is an 8 month old Lab. From the day we got him home at 8 weeks he made more gas than our previous full grown Lab. He could clear a room. Now he is worse. Both in volume and odor. Today it has been constant. There is not a moment when he is not passing gas, sometimes audibly. And it is vile. Gag you vile. He'll be asleep on the floor in our smallish TV room and we literally have to leave. And when you do leave, including him, and return 15 minutes later it still stinks.

He is not ill. He is happy, playful, super energetic, obedient . Poops twice a day like clockwork. Eats like a horse. Is slim and fit.

We have fed him pretty much the same dog food since he was small. The same brand at least. It comes from a locally owned pet supply store and I think it is called Victor brand. Made in USA. He gets occasional table scraps but that's fairly rare.

So, yes, I'm aware that the next step is to try different food, but I'm seriously (seriously) wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their dog and if changing food has helped. We'll talk to the vet next time he goes in but thats 3 months from now.

Any help appreciated because I like him but not sure I can live with him this way.

/ Gassy Dog
Good little article. This food we buy is supposed to be high quality, but will definitely try something else. And yes, he does eat faster than any dog I've ever had but that would be more of an air swallowing issue and shouldn't produce the level of toxic cloud he does now. I'm definitely going to try Bean-o.

/ Gassy Dog #4  
We have had bulldogs (Boston Terriers) for 50 years. They are notorious for passing gas. There are commercial foods available that will cut it down; but we just live with it. It usually happens when they eat something that is difficult to digest, like carbohydrates. If we keep them on the same diet, they will eventually get accustomed to it, and the gas will subside. We try to keep them off anything with grain; that seems to help a lot. Good luck!

/ Gassy Dog #5  
We discovered at an early age our dog got the most awful awful gas from chicken and chicken based foods.

I had to scour labels to make sure there is absolutely no chicken in them at all.

He gets a reg diet of 'Taste of the Wild: High Prairie' now.

At age 9, he passes gas a lot more....like pretty much every time he exerts himself. Hes so stealthy at counter surfing....except now he farts when he puts his front paws up.

/ Gassy Dog #6  
My wife swears that our Chihuahua passes gas now and then, but I've neither heard nor smelled it myself. But way back, about 65 years ago, I had a Fox Terrier mix that I started feeding Gravy Train dog food. She loved it, but I soon learned to change to something else.:laughing:

/ Gassy Dog #7  
Years ago I had a black Lab. Talk about your GAS PASSERS - his nickname was - - twee. The local vet recommended a change of diet, lots of outdoors exercise and it did help.

He was always at his finest when we had company too. Snuggle up to guests for a good 'ol tummy rub and then let loose with a room clearing fart.

The wife never thought it was as humorous as I did. I'd almost blow a gasket, holding back laughter, when I'd see the look on some peoples faces.

Ahhhh - - life out here in the country!!!

/ Gassy Dog #8  
We have found changing brands can set them off, but so can just feeding food that is high in grain. Our lab is allergic to corn (gives her hotspots, sores around her mouth, and her ears clog up) so that alone rules out most cheap brands for us. We feed Fromm Gold, which they do okay on after several other different "quality" brands all had recalls associated with the contract manufacturers they were using.

Seems like every quality brand that gets big enough to get noticed gets bought out by one of the national conglomerates and the recipe changes and the manufacturing is moved to a "volume" plant instead of a "quality" one. If you see an ad on TV, it's probably too late. Like the "blue" ads you see, they were bought out and everyone complains they aren't what they were when they made their reputation and are just coasting on name value, the quality is no longer there.

I suppose it is only a matter of time until it happens to my current brand and I have to start looking again. Web sites like dogfoodadvisor.com can help.

But at the same time, our dogs also eat random things in the yard, which can give them gas issues too.

/ Gassy Dog #9  
We tried all sorts of expensive dog foods over the years with our different dogs. Changing to brands that have less fillers such as corn and rice helps depending on the dog.

Our current dog is on a raw meat diet for the most part. Sometimes she gets canned meat or canned fish depending on what is on sale. This is not cheap but it is cheaper than the expensive dog food we used to buy and the dog is healthier. Less filler in the dog food means less filler in the dog poop and less flies as well. The dog has less stomach upsets, less gas, and less noxious gas. I think when the dog gets gas now it is from eating something in the yard or woods which usually means deer poop though I wonder if she sometimes finds left overs from the coyote kills.

We sometimes have to leave the room when she lets one go. As has the dog. Though with the raw meat diet I am not sure that has happened. You know it is bad when the dog lets one go and then the dog leaves the room. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Gassy Dog #10  
Our current dog is on a raw meat diet for the most part.

This.

It's not normal for any mammal to pass that much gas. Something is wrong. Usually, the "something" is the result of feeding grain to a carnivore. He may appear healthy now, but that doesn't mean that he is.

Switch to raw meat and you'll probably cure the problem. Along with that, feed him raw garlic in his dailiy food for a coiuple of weeks. He may have yeast in his gut and this will kill it or at least reduce it quite a bit. (Yes, he will stink even more at first.) Also feed him pro-biotics.

Raw garlic is a cheap way to take care of a yeast problem. It will de-worm him, too, without any of the nasty side effects of pharmaceutical de-wormers.