What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control?

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
Other than weather or congested traffic, why do some folks refuse to use cruise? I am one of the odd people that pay attention when I am driving and find it insanely annoying when I gain on someone, pass, and then they are offended I guess, so they tailgate me. Or the constant slow, speed up, slow, repeat. Don't people realize this is a hazard? And that it is humanly impossible to manually maintain speed? Just don't understand their aversion to pushing the button. :confused3:

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #2  
It is one of the great mystery's of life. Some things we are just not destined to know..:)

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #3  
Beats me, I use it on any machine so equipped conditions permit, but cannot convince my wife.

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #4  
People in cities get used to simply following the car in front of them much like cows heading to the barn. They dont' pay attention to how fast they are going they just stick to the bumper in front of them.

It drives me crazy as I live in a very rural area and some jerk will come flying up behind me and then proceed to tailgate for the next hour even though there isn't another car around for miles and plenty of places to pass.

I usually just start slowing down and if they won't pass I will just pull to the side of the road. I always give them a clap as they pass to let them know how proud I am that they finally figured out how to pass a car with no traffic around.

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #5  
And that it is humanly impossible to manually maintain speed? Just don't understand their aversion to pushing the button. :confused3:

Ahhhhhh,,,,,, the problem is solved!!,,, My new Honda CR-V has auto distance controlling cruise control.
Set it for a couple miles over the speed limit.
THEN, if the guy in front of you slows to three miles per hour below the speed limit, the CR-V slows to maintain the gap.
If he speeds up, the CR-V speeds up.
If you change lanes to an open lane, the CR-V speeds up.

It will maintain down to about 25MPH.

Problem solved!! :thumbsup:

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #6  
Ahhhhhh,,,,,, the problem is solved!!,,, My new Honda CR-V has auto distance controlling cruise control.
Set it for a couple miles over the speed limit.
THEN, if the guy in front of you slows to three miles per hour below the speed limit, the CR-V slows to maintain the gap.
If he speeds up, the CR-V speeds up.
If you change lanes to an open lane, the CR-V speeds up.

It will maintain down to about 25MPH.

Problem solved!! :thumbsup:

That creates more problems with rives who expect the "Autopilot" to do thier job so they don't have to pay attention. All that is is a tailgating device.

Spending your live tailgating the car in front of you because you don't have the skills to properly drive is no way to live. Think for yourself and pick the speed you want to drive, if you meet a car pass them instead of just tailgating.

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #7  
That creates more problems with rives who expect the "Autopilot" to do thier job so they don't have to pay attention. All that is is a tailgating device.

The CR-V also detects the lines on the sides of the road,, and auto-centers the car automatically.
It IS strange feeling the car steer itself. It does work well.
I read a review that stated if you do not make input to the steering every 90 seconds of so,,, it signals you to do so.

90 seconds should be long enough to pour coffee from your Thermos?? :thumbsup:

:laughing:

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #8  
The CR-V also detects the lines on the sides of the road,, and auto-centers the car automatically.
It IS strange feeling the car steer itself. It does work well.
I read a review that stated if you do not make input to the steering every 90 seconds of so,,, it signals you to do so.

90 seconds should be long enough to pour coffee from your Thermos?? :thumbsup:

:laughing:

LOL. Sounds like a car for really bad drivers to me.

All that stuff sounds neat until it breaks, or gets mud/ice on a sensor, causes an accident, or you are in a construction zone with varying lines, or snow on the road so it can't see lines, etc... I'd rather not pay for all that crap or deal with it failing and just drive the car myself.

All this does is promote the same behavior we saw in the recent look at self diving cars with people not paying attention and making you tube videos of themselves playing games and sleeping while driving.

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #9  
Even in Wyoming where in some areas, you might see another car every 50 miles, you see tailgaters. I dont get it either....

/ What are the reasons for NOT using Cruise Control? #10  
LOL. Sounds like a car for really bad drivers to me.

All that stuff sounds neat until it breaks, or gets mud/ice on a sensor, causes an accident, or you are in a construction zone with varying lines, or snow on the road so it can't see lines, etc... I'd rather not pay for all that crap or deal with it failing and just drive the car myself.

I do not plan on keeping the car past the warranty period, which is what we did with the previous Honda.
Let it break, they can fix it,,

I spent too many years milking the last few miles out of the old car,,,

Now, if they would just come out with an updated Honda S-2000,,, so I could trade in our old one,,,,