Washing machine anatomy

/ Washing machine anatomy #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
All,

I wouldn't ordinarily impose on the TBN brain trust for something like this but I have house guests coming soon (deer hunting friends) and a lot of laundry to do before they arrive. And the appliance repair shop hasn't returned my call.

Today, my 30 YO Maytag top load washer sounded weird- agitator rhythm was slowing down and then, with a full load, it sounded like a belt slipping and without any sound from the agitation. How does the agitator mechanism work? Is it a belt drive with the motor cycling between forward and reverse? Is there an idler for belt tension? Could it be bad bearings? I hate to tear into it because every time it's necessary, the rusty, stamped fasteners get a little harder to nurse along.

Thanks,

John

PS: The spin cycle works great.

/ Washing machine anatomy #2  
"slowing down and then, with a full load, it sounded like a belt slipping and without any sound from the agitation. "

Sounds like lack of lubrication some where to me.
Also there is probably a gear box of some sort down under there that provides a crank shaft sort of action to agitate the tub or the agitator.
If you find globs of oil under you will know you found the problem.

/ Washing machine anatomy #3  
All,

I wouldn't ordinarily impose on the TBN brain trust for something like this but I have house guests coming soon (deer hunting friends) and a lot of laundry to do before they arrive. And the appliance repair shop hasn't returned my call.

Today, my 30 YO Maytag top load washer sounded weird- agitator rhythm was slowing down and then, with a full load, it sounded like a belt slipping and without any sound from the agitation. How does the agitator mechanism work? Is it a belt drive with the motor cycling between forward and reverse? Is there an idler for belt tension? Could it be bad bearings? I hate to tear into it because every time it's necessary, the rusty, stamped fasteners get a little harder to nurse along.

Thanks,

John

PS: The spin cycle works great.

I've repaired several machines they are all a little different...one of the best sources of DIY info is youtube...often someone has uploaded a video of the same or similar enough model...

Good Luck...

/ Washing machine anatomy #4  
The motor spins along all the time, it has a gearbox similar to a wiper motor to change direction. The drive belt is reinforced with steel wires to keep it from stretching, but eventually they will stretch and shed enough rubber to slip a bit, especially if loaded heavily. Have a look here, or here; you might luck into a service manual for your model that will make things easier.

/ Washing machine anatomy #5  
I'd be looking at a new washer if yours is 30 years old! Toploaders have a transmission and yours is likely worn out.

/ Washing machine anatomy #6  
I had the same problem years ago with a Kenmore top load. The transmission leaked a small amount of oil during a move and only needed an ounce or so of oil to make it work again...for 8 more years! The top of the trans had a small hole just big enough for the tube of an oil bottle (about a 12 ounce bottle with a tube that extends about 6") to fit. No way to see the hole, had to find it by feel. Try to find your model washer online to see if this would work or get the rear panel off and look for a hole. Only do this if all obvious parts/belts seem to be OK.

/ Washing machine anatomy
OP here. Thanks All, for your input.

Tipped it over to expose the belts underneath and they looked fine with no missing chunks or shiny spots. Repair guy finally came out and we couldn't get the failure to reoccur. Ran a full load and it operated normally. He did confirm that a bad tranny is not worth fixing on a 30 yo washer. Time will tell, hopefully.

John

/ Washing machine anatomy #9  
x2 on RepairClinic.com, they have saved me a repair call a time or two! :thumbsup: