Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here?

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Ok So ive been searching the net now for over a year for this particular tool. A garage i go to had it from his dad.Its like a stick that he can pump up and part goes on the brake peddle and the other on the car seat and applies pressure to the peddle as you break the bleeder open and then reset the rod. Looks like a bathub rod really.
Its a simple design so i dont know why I cant find it or anyone who knows what it is or called. any help would sure be appreciated..

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #4  
I know exactly what you are talking about as the gas station I work at while in high school had one but I can't remember the name of it.
I started out washing cars at that station and by the time I graduated, I was repairing cars.

Last edited:
   / Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #5  
I have seen those, but I don't know where you can find them. Jorgensen makes a reversible bar clamp that might work.
jorgensen-isd-bar-clamp-aj334

Another handy tool you that can make yourself is an old brake fluid bottle with a piece of 1/4" ID hose through the cap to the bottom of the bottle. You attach the hose to the bleeder fitting. When the fluid comes out of the bleeder it goes into the bottle. If any tries to go back into the bleeder it sucks in only fluid not the air bubbles.

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #6  
Same here.

I'll add a third. The Motive Products power bleeder is THE way to bleed brakes, hands down. At no more than they cost it's heck of a deal and makes bleeding brakes a simple one man job and makes the job go quickly. Probably quicker than two people with one pumping the brake pedal. I know it does a better job of it too. The only thing I did to mine was to add a valve to dump pressure from the bleeder when I was done so I didn't have to fight the cap under pressure or spill brake fluid all over the place. I got the universal kit so I can bleed brakes on almost anything. :whistle: Universal Bleeder Kit - Motive Products

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #7  
I just use a master cylinder cap drilled for a bolt on tire valve, then hook a compressor regulated down to 10 psi to pressure bleed the brakes. You just need to keep an eye on the master cylinder and make sure it doesn't run out of brake fluid.
Failing that, I'd just do a gravity bleed on the calipers, just takes a little longer.

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #8  
I just use a master cylinder cap drilled for a bolt on tire valve, then hook a compressor regulated down to 10 psi to pressure bleed the brakes. You just need to keep an eye on the master cylinder and make sure it doesn't run out of brake fluid.
Failing that, I'd just do a gravity bleed on the calipers, just takes a little longer.

That's the nice thing about the Motive, you don't need to worry about emptying the MC. Oh yeah, it makes it uber easy to change out your brake fluid too. Everyone should do that every couple of years although few folks do it until they have to replace something expensive in their brake system which can be pretty pricey with today's anti lock systems.

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #9  
+1 on the Motive. I take my car to the race track and bleed brakes regularly and do a full flush and replace once a year. The Motive bleeder makes it a quick, easy, clean, one man job. If you do this more than occasionally get one. It is worth it.

Rant: I used to alternate ATE Super Blue and ATE Amber brake fluid. You could always tell when your flush was complete because the color would change. The US outlawed the blue because it was a HAZMAT issue because the color (blue) might cause firemen or HAZMAT crews to mistake it for something else. Stupid. Bureaucrats are killing this country.

/ Auto brake bleeding tool question?Any old timers here? #10  
Seems like you could improvise a new version of the tool from a spreader bar clamp. Home Depot and Lowes and Menards have these. Add a compression spring if you need more pressure and/or travel. Cut the bar to length or use wood block spacers to adjust the length.

Attachments

• solo-spreader.jpg
    solo-spreader.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 70