What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove?

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #1  

AndyM

Veteran Member
Tractor
1948 Ford 8N and 1993 Toro WheelHorse 520H
There's a good number of us here who were around tractors at an early age, long before we ever thought about tractor payments or talking about them on the internet.

What was the first tractor you ever drove?

My early experiences were an Oliver 60 and Ford 2N...

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #2  
At 11 years old, 1967, I drove a Minneapolis Moline pulling a baler then 2 hay wagons. I thought it was old in 1967, so I have no idea what year it was.

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #3  
you can remember that far back? i can't /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #4  
At about 12 years old in 1952, using a 1940 John Deere L.

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #5  
I'm pretty sure it was an 8N. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #7  
It was in 1982......I was 11 and I was riding a Ford 8N around the farm picking up bales of hay. Made me feel like a king!!
I get nothing but a smile on my face thinking about it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #8  
I was 11 or 12 when my Dad brought home the little Ford 1100. It was 4wd, 2 cyl diesel, and all of 11 hp at the pto. But it did have ag tires. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Really a neat little tractor and trouble-free to a fault for 20 years.

So I guess my first experience on a tractor was a CUT, and I was amazed by how useful it was. Later I would drive a few different ag tractors working for various farmers and wildlife areas. The one I got the most use of was a JD 301 industrial yellow tractor with a sickle bar.

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #9  
An Oliver 60 standard tread with the "fork in a bowl of spaghetti" dual gate shifter and a throttle which would never stay where you put it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It also had the common aftermarket accessory of a steering box with about a foot of play in it before the wheels would start to turn. Ahhh, the good old days. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What was the FIRST tractor you ever drove? #10  
At 63-1/2 minus one week I was doing a lot of research on tractors. I like neat old things, and decided that if the 8N was good enough 50 years ago, it would still be good enough today. At age 63-1/2, I drove an 8N with a Wagner FEL. At age 63-1/2 plus one week, I bought a new TC18 with 4WD, power steering, hydro and 12LA FEL without driving it.